Chapter 32

"I'm sorry," Austin had sat here with me for the past hour. I didn't trust myself to say anything more in fear that I would start bawling again.

"For what? You haven't done anything to me," he murmured beside me. We were on the couch, pressed close together as he hugged me and I sniffed.

"For you having to stay here and comfort me like I'm a child," I was still cursing my weakness. I hadn't cried like this since they told me I was no longer allowed to talk to my parents at the facility.

"Don't be. I planned on staying anyways," that made feel slightly better, knowing that I wasn't causing any outside problems other than a tear soaked shirt.

"Alright then," the silence was killing me. I mustered up as much courage as I could to ask my next question.

"What do I do if it happens again? I don't think I'll be able to handle being the cause of any more deaths," in my head my voice sounded much stronger and more confident but it came out like a mouse.

"I know they probably won't stop trying to get you back but if it happens again, don't go as far as to... kill them," he paused before saying kill, like if he did I would start crying again, and I did.

A single tear fell down my face and I faced my head down trying to conceal my crying. I failed and he lifted my face to look at him.

"Don't cry. It's not worth it. Nothing is going to happen in here," I was staring right into his eyes and he gave me an expectant look, like he wanted me to agree. I just nodded and set my head on his shoulder.

I didn't realize how tired I was until I felt sleep tugging on my consciousness. My eyes fluttered closed and this time, I slept without nightmares.
-------
"So those people tried to kidnap her again while she was at school?" Sleep was still clouding my senses but I could vaguely hear my mother.

My eyes stayed closed while my mother talked. I felt like I was sitting in front of a fire. The front of my body was warm.

"Yeah. She said three of them were in the forest while she was in gym. She killed all of them," Austin was talking quietly, like he was trying not to wake me up. Too late for that.

My mom sniffed and I felt my heart crack. I dragged them into this. This was my fault.

I didn't even feel the tears that were falling until Austin put an arm around me and whispered.

"Hey, it's alright," I pried my eyes open and nearly fainted when I saw that I was curled up against him with my arms wrapped around his chest. This was embarrassing the crap out of me to say the least.

My mom was looking at me with puffy and red eyes but what confused me was the cute smile on her face. What in this situation was so funny?

I tried to sit up but I felt Austin's arm tighten around me, as if he was telling me to stay. Content with where I was, I settled back down on his side with my head on his chest.

I sighed inwardly about how much I enjoyed this even though my mom was standing there watching. And then I figured out why my mom was smiling like a weirdo. She thought we were cute. My lips twitched up as I fought back the happy smile that was threatening to break out on my face.

Then my mind wandered back to the thoughts of the three Agents in the forest and my smile faded.

"I killed them without any second thoughts, mom. I'm a killer," my voice was raw and scratchy. When I spoke I almost clutched my throat due to the searing pain in it. I wanted to ask for water but didn't want to strain my voice and throat anymore.

"Sweetie no. Don't think like that. If it makes you feel any better, I would of killed them if I was there for trying to take you away," she looked like she was genuinely going to murder someone for going after me. I was her baby and all but I didn't expect her to kill for me.

"I wouldn't of let you. It's my battle to fight, not yours," I don't think she heard the protective tone in my voice but instead one of hostility. I instantly cringed when I saw her face fall.

"I'm sorry, if that's what you want," she looked away and my heart shattered. How did I manage to hurt her so much without touching her?

"That's not what I meant. I mean I love you too much for you to have to suffer through the pain and guilt of having someone's death on you," she briefly looked to me, hurt passing through her eyes before she faced the window again.

"For you, I would give my own life," she whispered to me. Anger flooded through me when the though of her dying for me crossed my mind. I would never let her do that.

"Don't say that," this time my tone was bitter and she caught onto it almost immediately. She only shook her head and laughed without enthusiasm.

"You wouldn't be able to stop me if I did," she started shuffling towards the doorway. "I'll leave you two for now," and with that she walked out completely.

It was a few second before anyone spoke.

"Can I get some water?" all the talking had turned my voice into a near unrecognizable, hoarse whisper.

"Yep," he picked up a glass from the side table and explained as I took it from him. "You were whimpering and crying in your sleep so I got your mom to grab that while you were out," I nodded a bit, too focused on the wonderfully cool liquid going down my sore throat. It was like heaven in a glass.

"Thanks," I said clearer than before when I finished the water. I wiped a few stray drops off my mouth and sat my head back down on his chest.

"I'm not bothering you, right?" I hoped not because I rather liked being here.

"Not at all. In fact, I think it's nice," his arm pulled me closer against his side.

I do too.

The clock on the wall said 8:43 and the cracked mirror was gone. I didn't feel tired anymore which was probably because I had slept for most of the time that I'd been home. It was late enough that mom was home but then I realized my dad wasn't in the room when I woke up.

"Where's my dad?" My voice was muffled as I had my face on Austin's chest.

"Your mom said that he was working late," his breath messed up my hair when he talked and I had to suppress a giggle.

Mom chose that moment to rush into the room, tears freely flowing down her face as she held the home phone.

"It's for you," she sobbed and I took the phone, immediately snapped out of my happy mood.

"Who is this," I snarled into the phone. I heard the same womanly laugh and a voice spoke smoothly on the other end.

"It's us from the facility. If you don't come back to us now, daddy dearest won't be breathing for much longer..."