Chapter 36

I pulled the surprisingly comfy blanket over myself and pretended to sleep. If I didn't want them to suspect me of anything, I was going to have to be stealthy.

I covered my head and began my work on the small piece of steel. It was only about the size of a toonie but when I flattened it like I planned it was going to be about as long as half of my pinkie finger.

I began manipulating the metal into the shape of a scalpel head. I needed to get this dumb chip out of me if I was ever going to escape some how, and I would heal too fast for me to scratch it out.

When I thought I had the metal into a good shape I traced it against the top of my arm. It broke the skin and as fast as I cut it, the slice healed. I nodded and started thinking about where I could keep the blade. I pretended to wake up and took my shoes off. As I was doing it, in shoved the blade into the bottom of the sole of my shoe, parallel with the floor so no one could see it.

I fake yawned and went back to 'sleep'. Eventually I did drift off but wished that I could stay awake for ever because my sleep was filled with the same kind of nightmares. The people I killed were haunting me until I begged for death. It was like a broken record on repeat that I couldn't get to stop.

The whole night I was crying without knowing, wishing that a specific person was here to say it was going to be alright.
-------
Shock.

I threw the blankets off of myself and shot up like a bullet. I pulled my shoes on before the robot could announce the time.

"6:00 AM," I rolled my eyes at it, knowing that someone could see.

"I get that. Any chance that I could get some food from you a*sholes?" I threw my arms up in an exaggerated shrug and glared at the walls around me.

"We will bring you breakfast momentarily. Please be patient," I scoffed.

"Patient? You're telling me to be patient?! Well, clearly you're new here. I don't wait," I was hoping that I was pushing this guy's buttons talking down to him.

"I can see that," he said quietly, not realizing that the mic was still on. He cursed and turned it off completely while I snickered. What an idiot.

"Nice job," I muttered the next part under my breath. "B*tch." I yelped when a shock caught me off guard. It wasn't at all painful because I was slowly becoming used to the higher pains but I wouldn't let them see that.

Now it was his turn to snicker. I huffed. Did this guy seriously think that it was okay to just shock me when I stated the simple truth?

"Don't like it when I tell you the truth, huh," it was more of a statement than a question and now I was the one snickering again.

"Not really," I didn't expect him to respond like that. It caught me off guard and I took a little longer for me to reply.

"Then I guess I'll just have to keep that up then," I was about to call him some more insulting names but the sliding of a tray across the floor made me snap mouth shut. I didn't get diner last night so I was starving.

"Took you long enough," I yelled at the slowly retreating footsteps.

I shovelled food into my mouth like it was the last meal I was having. I wasn't used to going so long without food even though it wouldn't physically hurt me, I still liked eating on a schedule. It was a couple of eggs and a hash brown with some vegetables and my regular supplements.

Another bottle of water was tossed in too but it had an orange tint to it. I shook the water up and watched the little particles slowly disintegrate until it was a fully opaque orange colour.