Chapter 1: Sacrificial Lambs

'For the greater good' is what they were taught. It was how they justified sacrifice. But was the 'greater good', any greater?

The weight of poverty Norlyn. A weight so heavy as to force them toward guilting their own kin into taking on the duties of the military and royal guards like their parents had done to them. Young and old feared the sacrifices it would take to complete their terms. They had to survive to live so what child would willingly offer their life up at the chance of death? Afterall, what good is life if you die before you enjoy it?

The sun was coming up from behind the trees, illuminating the skies with a red glow. Many were out at this time in Belcrest, getting ready for another day of work. Lanterns were lit in every house as man, woman and child alike got out of their beds to tend to farms or to drag their produce to their stalls for sale.

The forests ran alongside the village. Ayla jumped from branch to branch in pursuit of her attackers. Her stomach was crying from the punch one had landed. They moved briskly, swinging branch to branch. When she could finally see them through the trees, she descended to the ground where she had direct access to the earth. Her palms crashed into the ground and the dirt charged upwards, knocking her attackers from the trees. They fell to the ground, squirming from the pain of the fall. Ayla retrieved the books they had stolen and ran again for the trees when she heard street patrol approaching.

Had she not retrieved the textbooks, the House of Cormill could've simply locked her up for "stealing" them. Maybe even killed her for it. Villagers hated her that much, so she had stopped noticing them as anything more than annoyances. They didn't matter. Orhem was all that mattered.

Outside the village, bright lights glowed atop a hill in the distance, revealing the location of the Cormill mansions. Guards stood at the gate of the main House, with spears at their sides. "Ayla Nkri of Belcrest," she said and showed them her crest.

The main House of Cormill was clothed in white marble. It curved like a horse shoe around a square water fountain. Statues of white marbled lions populated the lawns while topiary hedges lined an allée of trees to the formal entrance.

Exhausted, she dropped herself in a seat as she awaited Lady Zoelle. The chairs were of the finest red wood, the ground a pink marble. Guards were stationed in various areas of the grounds and a servant stood by the patio entrance to the House.

"Good day my darling Ayla." Zoelle curtsied in Ayla's honor. Her blonde hair was pulled behind her ears and fell over her shoulders. She wore a white robe that complimented her youthful purity.

"Please, my lady, I told you not to bow before me." Ayla peered behind Zoelle to ensure her mother was not watching. "Come, have a seat before me. How was your rest?"

"I slept like a snake in the winter."

Zoelle sat down around the wooden table before Ayla.

"I am happy to hear. Shall we turn to Chapter 12"

"Again!" Zoelle hid her face.

That was also Ayla's exact thought when Lady Cormill had insisted Zoelle retake the test. She had scored highest in her class, but a 2 was short of perfection. She needed a 1. "Yes again. Your mother insists you receive a 1 on your rewrite."

"Won't you speak to her for me, please?" Her blonde lashes fluttered.

Ayla's word would do nothing against Cormill so she just smiled. With much pleading and negotiating, Ayla finally handed Zoelle a worksheet to fill out on elemental magic and their sister elements.

Fire and earth were sisters since they both used a hefty push and pulls. So fire manipulators could also learn earth. With wispy, fluid movements, water and wind were sister elements too.