20: Side Effects

A/N: rewritten due to changes in writing style

Drastically different were the two reactions that arose from the Alpha and her father, once the words fell from her mouth. Blossoming into a smile so bright, so incredibly dashing; her father faced her and, for moments, it seemed that she had recovered the cheerful loving father she had grown up with. The Alpha, on the other hand, was utterly displeased with Hani's decision. Hastily, he grabbed her wrists, dragging her away from the scene, away from her father's eyes; then, Jungkook spun her around, forcing the girl to face his angry gaze. The seconds passed, painfully slow; the hold on Hani's wrist tightened, the Alpha burned with rage. Warily, Hani studied him, feeling intimidated and perhaps, scared, of the explosion, she was certain, that was about to hit her.

"Jung-"

"What are you doing?" Sharply, he interrupted her and his words were harsh, they collided with the girl like a slap to the face. Jungkook had never spoken with such a cold, mean, tone of his voice to her; all the words he ever told her, all those Hani believed he could pronounce, always carried with them kindness and love. Characteristics that the Luna had found safety and refugee on. The Alpha that stood in front her, now, bitter and poisonous, was someone she was meeting for the first time and, hopefully, her last. "Hani, please explain to me why you are doing this sh*t because I genuinely don't understand"

The absence of the tender nicknames in his voice, took Hani by surprise; it revealed to her just how upset Jungkook was with her and her decision, how strongly he was against it. Not even the way he pronounced her name brought along with it any traces of honey, any chirping of the birds; yet, only the anger and the confusion Jungkook felt. And Hani hated it. She hated the glare in his eyes, his hold on her arm, the cold words he threw at her. However, a decision had been made and she was too stubborn to give it up. So, taking a deep breath, calmly, she tried to explain to the Alpha why had she agreed to go.

"Jungkook, he's my father and he looks..." Hani didn't know what to call it or how to properly describe the emotions that her father was expressing. "...regretful. He wants to make things right and I want to give him a second chance. A second chance at fixing the relationship I have with him."

The Alpha's grasp loosened, at last, he seemed to understand the girl's decision and the emotions of care and love that motivated it. She slipped from his grasp and seizing the opportunity, she cupped his cheeks with her hands. Jungkook's eyes melted, leaving behind the glare that they once carried; Hani's touch had that effect on him, it made the wolf, ravenous and angry, mild.

"It's just that..." The girl continued on explaining as she caressed Jungkook's cheeks, vanishing with each touch the irritated tone of his voice. "After my mom passed away, my father and my brother became the only family I have. I can't afford to waste away an opportunity at making this right, at mending this relationship. I know it might be hard for you to understand, after everything that happened. But I... I want him to see how happy I am with you, in this pack. I want to share these moments with him."

"Hani..." The Alpha spoke, calmly, patiently. "I can't help but feeling like this is a bad idea, this is a risk we don't need to take. What if something goes wrong? What if this is all a plan, all a scheme to take you away from me?"

Hani's heart wavered in pain, lullabied by the pain, the look of absolute terror, that washed over his eyes as he spoke. He quickly blinked his eyes, his lips were bit in frustration. The Alpha had his hands balled into fists, desperately he held himself back from telling the girl everything; breaking down, exploding, spilling it out everything that weighted on his heart. Hani couldn't possibly understand what Jungkook had gone through and just how intricately his past had shaped him. It conditioned all his actions, all his words. Fueled mild fears into wild ones that he couldn't control. Jungkook was supposed to have left that day feeling stronger, yet, he truly believed his heart had grown weaker.