46: The wheels are in motion

A/N: Thank you for 7k reads!!! <3

Minki was sitting on a fallen tree, outside of the cabin he was staying at with the other new members. Apparently, many new rogues reached this pack daily, although only a few actually passed the test. A few meters away from him was an older boy, writing on a notebook. From time to time, he'd steal glances at Minki before going back to writing. It was odd, surely, but Minki paid no mind to it. Afterall, many more things were on his mind that worried him. It was the calmness that lingered in the air after the Alpha's outburst due to the presence of intruders. After such a violent outburst, Minki expected the Alpha to strike as fast as possible and hunt them down. Instead, he grew calm and had been locked inside his office ever since. That information generated a growing anxiety in him; he felt that he was waiting for the ground to open under his feet.

A new presence joined him. The older boy was sitting next to Minki, looking at him up and down. Minki gave him a weird disgusted look – he didn't want to make any friends or have any company. Hopefully, he would get out of there soon.

"No need to look at me like I'm a creep. I just like studying the body" The boy said, picking up the notebook and showing it to Minki. "See... I'm just trying to figure out how face muscles flex in different ways, based on different perspectives."

That page in the notebook was full of random scribbles and doodles of different people in the pack. It was mostly just descriptions of their body movements. Truthfully, Minki understood nothing of them. Not because the drawings were bad, they were the most realistic thing he had ever seen. He just didn't know anything about anatomy, nor was he slightly interested in knowing. Therefore, after taking a quick glance, Minki nodded his head and turned around; letting his eyes focus on a group of men arguing in the distance.

"Well..." The boy sighed after closing his notebook. "You are new here too?"

Minki just nodded his head, not really paying attention to his new companion.

"So, you passed the test as well? Ah... you are probably a beta then?"

The affirmation sparked Minki's attention. It wasn't the assumption that he was a beta – it was correct and it was pretty notorious. What intrigued him was how his new companion called it a "test".

The boy was rather shocked at how fast Minki's head had turned to face him. Minki had a stern look on his face; revealing to the older boy that the information had somewhat shocked him.  

"I'm Lucca. I'm a beta too"

He shyly introduced himself. Minki's flaring glare intimidated him deeply. He held out his hand for Minki to shake – it was in vain.

"The test" Minki straightforwardly asked. "How was your test like?"

"A fight. To the death. Same to you?"

"What do you mean about betas passing the test? What's the correlation?"

Lucca's eyes opened in shock which only caused Minki to become even more curious. Was this some sort of information that was obvious? The new companion swallowed the lump in his throat. He seemed fairly scared of saying it. Lucca kept on clutching the notebook with his hands, his eyes wide open. He looked around the pack, passing his eyes through every group. Minki was confused. Why was Lucca acting as if he had said something that he wasn't supposed to?

"You don't know..." Lucca leaned his head closer to Minki, whispering to his ear. "About the Alpha's diet?"

"Diet?"

Minki whispered back, more confused than ever. Lucca took another glance at his surroundings; Minki could tell that he was about to tell the little secret to him. However, the sound of a new commotion made the boys stop. It didn't only make them stop, it made Lucca cower in fear along with everyone else in that pack.