27: What now?

A/N: rewritten due to changes in writing style

Hani felt that, lately, nostalgia walked hand in hand with her. It had first approached her when she stood in front of her old pack house – the cabin she had grown up in – ready to leave, like she had done months before; now, it overtook her again. As she scanned the pack from the top of hill that circled it, Hani saw the place with the same eyes, yet, much different it was her position this time. The pack, the territory vast and huge that stood under her feet, it was hers now. She was the Luna, their Luna. So much, in fact, had changed since the day she first arrived there. All the events of the previous days had made the weight of her responsibility and duty feel heavier on her shoulders. Attentively, she glided her eyes through the people that, in a usual busy morning, ran from one side to the other of the territory; Alec's words resounded in her ears. If she were to make a move, wouldn't all those people be inevitably caught in Ulric's wrath, as well? Perhaps, it was better for her to do nothing, to pretend nothing had frightened her or shook her. There was a lot that was requested of her as a Luna, some that she wasn't really aware of and couldn't fully comprehend. However, one thing she was certain of: she had to keep the pack safe. Dragging her own problems into the pack was the exact opposite of what she was meant to do. What kind of Luna would she be, if she were to follow through with it?

The girl tried to swallow down the hesitation and the bitter taste in her mouth, but it seemed that it refused to leave. What if Hani was forced to choose between her family and this new pack? What would she do? What was the right thing to do? Hani was insecure about her decisions. Unconsciously, her gaze drifted towards Jungkook, wondering if there was any possible reassurance that she could obtain from him, without ever telling him what bothered her. The Alpha stared at the pack attentively, prying into every single detail that he could possibly find in the scenery. Once more, the girl wondered if there was something bothering him, something tormenting his mind that made him scan the pack like a hawk, in search of something hidden amongst the view. Yet, foolishly, again, she opted for saying nothing. Hani was in no position to ask him what was wrong or to, somehow, convince him into opening up... because she kept things from him. And just like her, she thought, perhaps the reason behind his silence was a good one. Therefore, Hani decided to trust him.

The Alpha guided her down the hill, towards the pack's western border where, by usual, two young men stood guarding and controlling the entries and exits. Happily and excitedly, they talked with one another. However, once the Alpha's presence approached them, their actions stopped abruptly and quickly, a serious stern look coated their faces.

"Alpha, Wel-"

The man never had time to finish his phrase. The words he wished to tell Jungkook lingered in the air, floating messily without guidance, for the Alpha, trapped in a faraway place, ignored them completely. Jungkook passed by them – like a breeze of air – without glancing, uttering a word or slightly turning his head to face them. Hani was surprised at the way Jungkook was acting; The Alpha barely acknowledged the people that, per usual, came out of their houses and stopped their conversations and jobs, just to welcome him back. He was unreadable, unreachable, distant. Something was tormenting his thoughts, stealing all his emotions and movements from his own control. Only when they arrived at the house did Jungkook snap back to reality. In a rush, he grabbed the keys and unlocked the door, almost pushing the girl inside when she didn't move. Inside, Hani watched dumbfounded the way in which hurriedly Jungkook prepared to leave the house again.

"Wait" She called out for him, freezing Jungkook in his place who was already grasping the doorknob. Jungkook looked like he had been pulled out of a trance, as if, until then, his body had moved by itself, following a strange yet familiar sense in his self – like a routine. Gently, Hani touched his cheeks, attempting to pull Jungkook back to her embrace. "Where are you going? Is everything okay?"