ONE

I wasn't sure if it was the thunder that woke me or the door bell. I propped myself onto my elbow and rubbed my eyes as the door bell rang again. And again. I looked over at my vintage alarm clock seeing the neon orange lights confirming that it was indeed six in the morning. I knew Mom was already an hour into her shift so it couldn't be her. 

A hard and steady rain began to fall with a loud clap of thunder followed by a flash of lightening. Oh, and four door bell rings. I tossed off my blanket and pulled on my robe.  As I stumbled to the door all I could think about is how the person on the other side of the door better be bleeding to death, or there would be hell to pay.

"Ta-da." My best friend said, holding a white bakery bag.

"If those are not doughnuts, turn around and go home."

"They are," He laughed pushing past me.

"Why are you here so early?" I whined shutting and locking the door behind me.

"Do you want doughnuts or not?"

"Better be a yellow one with sprinkles," I stomped after him.

We sat down and dug into the bag. We worked tighter like a well oiled machine because we knew each other forever. I handed him some napkins and he handed me a little carton of milk. Danny and I met the first day of preschool. I didn't want to go, but he came over handing me a toy and ever since then he had my back.

"How you doing with Jessie moving?"

I Cringed at that name.  I never wanted to hear that name again. I wanted that name to be sacrificed to the name gods and to never be used again. I wanted-"

"Sophie?"

"What?" I looked at him being brought back to reality.

"Did you hear me? About Jessie?"

"I'm actually glad she's gone."

"Really?" He seemed surprised, and that was because we did almost everything together that I didn't do with Danny.

"Yup."

"But she was your best friend."

"Why is it such a big deal that I'm fine?"

"Because I know you Sophie. What happened in the past couple of days before she left?"

"Nothing."

"Sophie." He looked at me in his get real way.

That was the million dollar question though wasn't it? What had happened that night. 

I grabbed too many paper towels from the dispenser to dry my hands. We had about ten minuets of lunch left and Jessie was trying to talk me into coming to the football game and then an after party,

"I can't believe that you would deny me this one last time with my best friend."

"I went to a party with you remember? you ditched me and got plastered. I had to drag you home."

"That won't happen this time."

"Really?"  I raised my eyebrows.

"Yes. Because I want to be sober when I hook up with Ian. This is my last chance. You know I'm moving this weekend."

"I don't want to go."

"But what are you going to do? Danny is gone for the next two months and you can't do me this one solid?"

"Fine."

She squealed jumping up and down hugging me. We headed to the game first and then over to her house to get ready. Mom would still be at the hospital, so I didn't need to ask for her permission. Still I texted her and then used some of Jessie's clothes to get ready. The house was in the middle of nowhere.