SIXTEEN

The next day I wore a green plaid skirt, a tan long sleeved turtle neck and matching heels. I borrowed a purse from my Mom's closet, and headed to my car. As I waited for Danny I grabbed the necklace and put it on hiding it under the collar of the shirt. After he got in we started our day of getting Kara and then heading for school. This time Joseph was waiting for me at my locker. My heart beat picked up as I slowly approached not knowing what kind of mood he would be in.  He was holding more Starbucks so that was a start right? As I came closer he smiled. 

"Good morning." He leaned in and kissed my cheek handing me the Starbucks. "Where is your necklace?"

"Under my collar."

"Here, let me help." He stilled as he reached into my collar and placed the necklace on the outside of my shirt. "Nice purse."

"It's my Mothers."

"Why didn't you tell me you didn't have purses? I have money. Let's go shopping after school."

"I can't."

"What do you mean you can't?"

My heart dropped to my toes, and I hurried to squeeze his arm, "I can't let you keep buying things for me silly."

He smiled again, "I want to. It would make me happy."

"I have to work tonight."

"Can't you just get off?" He put his hands on my waist and pulled me closer to him leaning in to kiss my neck, "Please."

"I can't do that." I pulled back to put some distance between us. But just enough so that he wouldn't get angry, "We're doing this new promotion thing."

"What time do you get off?"

"Seven." I lied.

"Then I can pick you up and we can head to the mall from there."

"And just leave my car at work?"

"Well then we can meet at the mall."

"What if I'm tired after work?"

"Are you trying to ditch me or something?"

"No." I quickly shook my head.

"You know, it sort of feels like you are. It kind of makes me feel ignored."

"I'll meet you at the mall after work okay?" I looked over his face to see if he was going to over react. "It's not that I'm trying to get rid of you, it's just that I'm not used to people buying me stuff."

He smiled, "You mean you're not used to people taking care of you. That's the difference Between a man and a boy baby. I'll always take care of you."

"I can't wait for the mall then."

"Me too." He kissed my forehead-thank god, and not my mouth- "I"ll see you later okay?"

I smiled and nodded at him. I tossed my stuff away and went through the day.

___  

After I dropped off Danny and Kara I drove over to the mall. I drove over to the mall. I was tired, tired to no end, but I didn't want to upset Joseph. I headed through the mall and found him in the food court sitting at the table where he said he would be. He was on his phone and his face looked annoyed. Okay, time to shine acting skills. I could do this. I could act like one of those spoiled girls I see walking around school. I walked over to him and put my hands over his eyes. He dropped his hands and grabbed my wrists. Act.

"Guess who?" I smiled as he stood up and turned to face me, "Aren't you happy to see me?" I pouted.

"Of course!" He quickly pulled me in for a hug, "Of course I'm happy to see you Baby."

I pulled back and he looked slightly confused, "Good. I wouldn't have to punish you."

He smiled, "Are you ready to go shopping?"

"Do we have to?" I whined, "I"m so tired."

"I told you I wanted to take care of you."

"Do you want to carry me around the whole mall then too?"

"I can if you want me to."

"Just a few stores tonight okay?"

"Are you hungry?"

"No, I ate at work. We were sampling sandwiches."

"How'd that go?" He took my hand and led me into the crowd of shoppers.

Ugh, even his hand felt gross.

"Good I guess."

He looked at me.

"I mean, I'm just stuffed is all."

"You should tell your boss that you can't eat like that anymore."

"I will."

We weaved in and out of the expensive stores. Joseph offered to carry my bags and soon he had so many bags to hold that I didn't have to hold his hand anymore. And when I lied and said I didn't have a phone he bought me the newest iPhone and the matching watch. Finally he relented and let me go home. Mom was already home by the time I got home so I left all my new stuff in the car. She was in the kitchen cooking.

"Hey," She seemed surprised to see me, "I thought you were staying over at Kara's."

"No, but I did hang out with her for a little while. What are you making? It smells delicious."

"Well good thing I made enough for to huh?"

"How are you guys doing with that case? Any closer to catching these guys?"

"The lawyer is still trying to meet with Kara's family. Has this guy been bothering her?"

"Not that I know of." Me however?

"You have your first ultrasound tomorrow."

"I know."

"I hope you took off work for it."

"I'm going to work my lunch hour around it."

"I think I'll go the same."

"You're coming?"

"I was hoping to."

"Yeah sure." I said quickly before I hurt her feelings. "Is Dad coming?"

"Dad had to go back home for a little while for work."

"Of course he did." 

"Honey."

"No, it's my fault Mom. I'm fine. Why would I think anything different. Of course his job is more important. He wants me to give up the baby, why would he come to the ultra sound?"

"Is Danny coming?" She tried to change the subject, which worked.

"Yeah, he promised. I'm trying to get Kara to come with me too. She already had her first ultrasound though."

"I know it's disappointing to miss out on all the firsts honey, but at least you'll get to be there when she finds out the gender."

"Yeah, I'm looking forward to that one."

"Me too." She smiled at me, "Let's eat."