TWO

"Do you remember when we were nine and we used to write each other notes and stick them in each other's mailboxes?"

"Yeah?"

I raised my eyebrows.

"Oh!" He stood up, "You mean like now."

"Yep, like now."

We set our doughnuts on the table and headed outside. He jogged across the street and stood at his mailbox.  I set the scrap of paper on my mail box and stared at it. How was I supposed to write down those three dirt words, and expect him to look at me the same way? Would he look at me the same way?

 Would I still be Sophie to him or some sort of victim?  I could just say never mind. I can write something silly on the note, make a joke or anything than tell the truth. But as I looked at him waiting patiently with a smile, him reminding me of the little boy he once was, I wrote those three words I was dreading to tell him. To tell anyone actually. 

I folded it as small as it would go and then jogged across the street. I stuck the note in his mail box, closed it, put the flag up and then ran back across the street standing on the curb. I watched him open the mailbox and carefully unfold the note.

"Hey Danny?" I called before he got the chance to read it.

"Huh?" He looked up.

"Just don't leave me alone okay?"

"Promise." He was confused,but still made the promise anyways.

I watched as he smoothed the note out and read it. About three times. Then he looked up at me, and I smiled at him with a shrug. He crumpled the note with an angry fist, and dropped it to the ice slicked ground. He ran over to me, arms raised and the paused.

"Sophie," He paused shaking his head, "I don't know how to make this go away."

"A hug for starters." I nodded.

"Of course."

We hugged for a few minutes, him in the gutter, me on the curb.

"I'm so sorry."

"For what?" I pulled back a bit.

"I wasn't there to protect you."

"You were in a different state. It's not your fault okay?"

"Please tell me you at least went to the doctor."

"No." I dragged out the o.

"Sophie." He sighed.

"I'm embarrassed, Okay? I'm just assuming I was raped. I think I was drugged and then when I woke up my underwear was ripped and my pants were pulled down. I know I have to go to the Doctor's okay, but I'm scared. Will you come with me?"

"Of course I'll come."