FIVE

I stretched out for Danny, feeling cold sheets. I quickly sat up and looked around. He said he wouldn't leave. Danny was asleep on the floor next to the door.  I sighed my shoulder's slumping. 

He still felt guilty, despite the fact my Mom told him it wasn't his fault and that he was in a different state. I caught a glimpse of the early morning sky through my window as I got up. I grabbed my comforter and arranged it over him. I moved his arm so I could open the door and slipped out. I quietly headed down stairs. 

Mom was sitting at the table with a mug. Her eyes where red and had circles under them and her shoulders were slumped as she rubbed at her face. Her cell phone was on the table next to the cup.

"Something has happened and I just need to talk to someone." She was saying.

I hid behind the wall next to the kitchen arch and sat down on the floor.

"What happened?" Dad demanded, making me angry for him using that tone.

"Sophie needs your help. I've done all that I can think of."

"What happened?" He demanded again.

"She's pregnant Mitch."

I sighed,  pressing my hands into my eyes so hard I lost hearing for a second, not hearing his next question.

"No that Daniel kid isn't the Father." Mom was defensive. 

"Well who is this little fucker?"

"I don't know, She was raped at a party she went to."

"You let her go to a party!" He yelled, "I'm booking a plane ticket right now."

"Stop screaming. Don't do that, she's sleeping right now. And you know what? Danny has stepped up for our daughter in a really big way that no sixteen year old should have to. Why don't you think about that before you judge an innocent kid?"

The phone gave off a light beep as she hung it up. She sighed. The chair scooted back, and her slippers padded across the floor. I heard her rinse her cup and then put it into the dishwasher. Then I heard her make her way out of the kitchen towards me.

"Sophie." She gasped putting a hand to her heart, "Honey, what-"

"Does he hate me?" I looked up at her.

"He's a little upset." She rang her hands.

I pulled my legs to my chest, "Good."

She sat down next to me and put an arm around my shoulders. I allowed my head to rest on her shoulder.

"He's not upset with you honey, but with your-" She paused, "The baby's father."

"He is not the father of my child."

"Sophie" She said slowly.

"Spit it out Mom. I know you."

"It's just me and you now, Danny is upstairs." She gently reminded me. "Do you know the name of who did this to you?"

I nodded, crying yet again.

"Oh my love," She pulled me onto her lap, "I never meant for this to happen to you."

"Stop saying that as if it was your fault. Danny keeps doing that. He's sleeping on the floor in front of my door, like he can protect me from the next offender."

"Ah yes, Daniel," She laughed a bit. "Hold on to that one."

"I will. Always." I wiped at my face.

"Your Dad is coming over."

"I don't want to see him."

"I have to involve him. He has a good lawyer for you."

"Why would I need a lawyer?"

"When you go to court to lock up your offender-"

"I don't want him going to jail." I scooted off of her lap and looked at her, "It will ruin his life."

"He ruined your life first!" She yelled, then she took a breath and held up a hand, "I'm sorry for yelling at you."

"Sophie?" Danny called sounding both confused and frantic.

"I'm coming."

I got up and jogged up the stairs leaving Mom sitting on the floor by herself. Danny stood in the hall, just coming out of my room looking around. When he saw me he pulled me into a tight hug.

"What's wrong?" I asked, face smashed against his chest.

"Bad dream."

"Tell me."

"Another time. I have to take a shower and make sure my siblings are okay. I'll be back over soon and we can go job hunting."

He kissed my head and was gone. Nothing is wrong with his twin siblings Taylor and Tyler. I think my situation shook him. Everyone needed some time to process this. And after all, I wasn't technically alone.

"What am I going to do with you huh?" I put a hand on my stomach, "I tell you this much, I'll always protect you."

"Honey?"

I looked over at Mom. She smiled and held the phone out to me. Of course. I took the phone and pressed it a little too hard to my ear.