SEVENTEEN

The next morning I dug through my new clothes and grabbed a white sweater dress and a pair of blank ankle boots. I grabbed a black purse and put in my stuff and hooked that stupid necklace into place. Once at school I made my show with Joseph and turned the corner to throw away the Starbucks. When I turned back around I almost ran into Kara.

"Jeesh, What are you doing?"

"Why are you hanging out with Joseph?"

"What do you mean?"

"I saw you with him. I heard rumors that you were dating him. Are you fucking dating him?"

"Kara, I really need your support on this one."

"Support!" She shouted earning people to look at us, "You are dating him. I can't believe this. After what he did to you."

"Just leave it alone."

"If you think that this is a good idea let's go see the therapist. You can not date your rapist." She hissed at me.

"Kara, But the hell out."

"Look." She looked around and took a step closer to me, "Tell me if you're in some sort of trouble. I can help you."

"How can you help me, when you couldn't even help yourself?"

"Ouch." 

"No, I didn't mean it like that. This guy is dangerous. He's threatened everyone."

"Well let's go to the cops. Screw your lawyer."

"No. He has a lot of money. What if he is bailed out and he makes good on his threats? I can't risk the people he has threatened." 

"Has he hurt you at all?"

"No." Liar, "I swear. It's like he's guilty or something."

"He ruined your life Sophie. He took away your right to say no. Don't you feel sorry for him. What if we have a daughter. Would you want her to feel sorry?"

"No."

"Fine. I love you, so I'll go along with it." She crossed her arms, "But the first time he hurts you, yells at you, or what ever I'm pulling the plug and telling Danny."

"Leave Danny out of this Kara. I'm serious."

And then I walked past her because there was nothing left to say. When I went to my ultrasound I was surprised to see that Kara wanted to come to. Everything was good with the baby and I was only having one. After work I took a shower and lay on my bed on my back holding up the ultrasound pictures. I looked over at my side table and picked up my phone. 

I sighed when I saw Joseph's name. I set the phone back down screen down and rolled over to look at my pictures. I smiled at the picture where it looked like the baby was waving. It was probably just the position the picture was taken in, but I still liked the idea of them waving at me. There was a knock on the door and I looked over. Danny smiled at me and I smiled back guilty at being caught.

"Want to get something to eat?"

"Yes." I set the picture on the side table and got up.

"I'll drive. Oh, don't forget your phone."

I looked at the phone, "No, I'm good."

We crossed the street and got into his car. He pulled the visor down and I smiled seeing the picture of the ultrasound that I gave him pinned there.