TWENTY-FOUR

As the months passed I got really close with Kara. We continued to go to the group therapies, and Kara smiled with pride as she had first showed off my cut and bruised hand to the other girls. School was a mix of support and hate. Kara and I went on independent study, and a few weeks later Danny joined us. The three of us soon became so close, that you wouldn't of even guested that Danny and I had grown up without Kara.

The three of us sat in chairs lined against the wall as Mom and Holly-Kara's mom- signed us in. I think Danny was the most excited of us all.

"Well, are we excited or what?" He wanted to know.

"I have to pee." Kara whined.

"Me too."

"Full bladder makes it easier for them to see the baby." He informed us.

"Huh?" Kara looked at him and then me.

"He's reading what to expect when you are expecting." I explained.

"And I joined a blog." He announced proudly.

Kara snorted, and I laughed.

"Well when you two have issues, I'll be the one with the answers."

The ultrasound Tech called us back and all of us crammed into the small room. The tech got the chair ready and then turned to us.

"Who want's to go first."

"Me." I pushed past Kara, "Out of the way."

We all laughed as I sat down. The tech smeared the gel onto my stomach and typed something into the machine. Everyone got their phones out and started filming. The tech was about to put the stick on my stomach but jumped startled, as Kara let out a sob. She was crying full blown, holding my phone and hers.

"It's hormones." Danny felt the need to inform us all.

"This is going to be the biggest moment of our lives so far." She hiccuped. "This is a big moment okay?"

Everyone laughed as her mom gave her a hug. The tech then continued to find the baby. I grabbed Danny's free hand. I watched as the baby sucked it's thumb. No one said anything, which made it easy for the rest of the world to fall away. A human being was inside of me. This was real. Then the tech spoke and I wiped my face. She went over all of the parts of my baby and then went to wipe the gel from my stomach.

"Did you want to know the Gender yet?"

"Yes!" Kara yelled, and then cried again. "Sorry. I keep getting ahead of myself."

The tech laughed with us this time, "Okay, so it's a little girl."

A little girl. A girl I had to protect from a rapist. I did do the right thing. I protected my daughter. I switched places with Kara and took our phones. I handed my phone to Danny as I switched places with him. I took Kara's hand and aimed her phone at the screen. I let out a big breath and everyone looked at me.

"I can feel it now." And I was crying.

"Stop," Kara sat up crying pulling me in for a hug.

"Okay, if you guys don't mind." Danny spoke up, "I'm really just here to see what Kara's having, so let's get back on track okay?"

"Oh." I laughed, wiping my face.

"Okay," Kara laughed sitting back on the chair.

Kara's baby had their foot in their hand. I could feel myself crying as I watched the baby. It looked as if they were looking at their foot trying to figure out what it was. I looked at Kara to see if she was getting any of this, and saw how pretty she was when she cried. True love really did exist.

And hers was on the screen.

I might of protected my daughter by turning in Joseph, but I new in my heart that Kara's little boy would protect her when I couldn't.