EIGHT

I rolled over and started at my alarm clock. Here's my choices. Get up and shower or sleep for another thirty minutes and then get dressed and head out to work. I sat up and ate two gummy prenatal vitamins. No use in trying to sleep when I know I couldn't.

No need to think about past events. I took a quick shower and pulled my hair into a quick bun. I pulled on some clothes and headed down stairs.

"Sweetie, I really wish you'd wake up earlier. You need to get breakfast."

I looked at the eggs she was scrambling.

"Mom, no offense or anything but I have to get out. The eggs stink."

I hurried from the kitchen and ran into the bathroom. I knelt in front of the toilet, and tapped my fist on the seat waiting for the vomit to come up. I heard running feet, and someone hitting the door frame as they held it. I looked over at Danny.

"You good?"

"Go." I waved at him.

"No."

"Danny-"

He hurried forward and gathered the strands of hair that had fallen out of my loose knot. Then Mom was there with a cold bottle of water. She handed it to Danny, who screwed off the lid and handed it to me. I rinsed out my mouth and spit in the toilet. I nodded and they hurried to help me to my feet.

With my first morning sickness episode behind me I headed off to work. I spent the majority of the day going through boxes of donated books. Yeah I wanted to do more, but I was tired anyways. We did our runs of shopping and I set up the book shelves. After the work shift all I wanted to do was crawl into a warm bath. 

As we drove up to the house that's when I saw it.  A sleek silver Mini SUV parked at the curb of our house. Danny saw it too and paused in the middle of the street. Together we looked over the car. I looked over the house for shadows in the windows.

"What is your Dad doing here?"

"I don't know."

"You want to come to my house for a bit?"

"I should probably go in there and ask why he's here."

"Want me to come?"

"Yeah."

Danny flipped the car around and parked behind my Dad's car. He got out and headed up the walk. I could already hear them yelling. We headed inside, and towards the kitchen. I held up a hand to keep Danny from going into the kitchen.

"What is the big deal?" Dad was questioning, "It's just a car."

"The problem is, that she can get her own car. She needs responsibility."

"Well if this little fuck head would of left her alone, she wouldn't of had to have so much responsibility."

Mom was Quiet, setting her hands on the table and rocking back and forth.

"What's wrong with a little help?"

"This isn't a little help, it's an expensive ass car."

"She needs something safe to drive the baby around in. Are you crazy?" He questioned, "She's just as stubborn as you are. I bet she won't even take the car."

I looked at Danny, and he pulled me away from the door as they continued to argue about the car.

"You need to accept the car."

"What? Why?"

"Because your Dad is right. It's a bigger car, and it looks new so it won't be breaking down."

"But I don't-"

"Sophie."

I sighed, "Fine."

We headed into the kitchen. They were so into their argument, that they didn't even notice us standing there. Finally I had to step in before Mom ripped one of Dads' limbs off and cooked it for Christmas dinner.

"I want the car."

"What?" They both turned on me, Mom annoyed, Dad surprised.

"How long have you been there?" Mom questioned.

That's when Dad stood in front of her blocking her from View, so she couldn't change my mind.

"I think you'll really like it Sophie. Everything is automatic. It has seat warmers, and I had them install a mini computer into the dash."

He held the key's out to me.

"Thanks." I took the car.

"Well," He clapped his hands and I jumped, "Guess that covers that then huh?"

He turned to Mom smiling smugly. I tiled my head so I could see her.

'It's okay,' I mouthed to her.

She smiled and nodded-

'I know.'