TWENTY-TWO

Ben offered me a ride home and I took it. I stood in the arch way of the kitchen, watching Mom talk on the phone. She looked annoyed, yet understanding. She had to be talking to my Dad. I raised my fist and knocked on the wall twice. Mom spun around.

"Sophie!" She huffed, "You scared me!"

"Sorry." I set my bag on the table, "They arrested them. I even got a trophy."

I showed her my hand and she gasped.

"Damn you Mitch." Mom said handing me the phone.

I put it to my ear to hear him laughing, then, "What did I do?"

"I punched James."

"You did?"

"Want me to send you a picture?" I could hear mom in the bathroom opening the mirror.

"Yeah."

I took a picture of my hand and sent it to him.

"Did you get it?"

A pause, then a ridiculous laugh that made me smile.

"That's my girl."

"Mom ran to the medicine cabinet."

"Nothing a bag of peas can't fix, put her on."

I found Mom digging through a first aid box.

"Dad." I held the phone out and she reached for it. I raised my hand, "I'm going to find a bag of peas."

"Honestly," Mom was saying as I walked away, "I had to have a daughter with an Idiot."

I smiled as I pulled open the fridge and looked around for a bag of peas. When I finally found one I sat down at the table and Placed it on my hand. Ouch. I lifted it off to see the damage. I was already bruising. I washed my hand off and dried it off with a paper towel. Then I placed the bag of peas back. I looked up as Danny came in.

"Twinsies." He showed me his bag of corn.

We laughed and fist bumped with our bags. Mom chose that time to walk in hands full of medical supplies. She looked at the both of us and sighed.

"You too?" She demanded.

Kara came in next and Mom glared at her, "Let me see your hands."

Confused she held them out.

Mom sighed, "Well at least one of you aren't dumb."

Still confused, she looked over at us. Then at our bags and laughed. Mom glared at her, and she stopped, eyes going wide. Danny and I both had our turns of hand wrapping. The bag of peas and carrots really did help with the swelling though.