Chapter 1:

Sera Chang's earlier feelings of happiness fizz away into bubbles as she dashes across the street, sneakers slapping against wet cement.

In its place are emotions more vivid than usual.

The fiery red of fury. The ocean blue of sadness. The depressing shade of silver because life sucks, life sucks, life sucks.

She grits her teeth, rain soaking through her school uniform, hating that she's showing any sign of weakness.

Sera's thoughts plunge through the air, chaotic and disorganized.

She's seething, angry at her father for marrying someone new. Furious at the new stepmother she's going to have. Enraged at the thought of her mother leaving Sera with a father who cheated and the stepmother who cheated with him.

So the raven-haired, brown-eyed Taiwanese girl does exactly as her therapist advises: release her emotions.

Sera screams.

All around her, curious glances and whispers are drawn in her direction. More malicious than not, and Sera already knows their thoughts, so obvious and clear: Pfft, what the hell? and What's wrong with her? and Oh, it's just Sera Chang, that crazy girl from school.

She knows she's crazy. Sera doesn't need reminding anymore.

Not from her father. Or mother. Or her classmates. Or any goddamn strangers, for that matter. "I hate life," Sera mutters, and in that moment, she knows she truly does despise life. Then, louder: "I freaking hate life!"

A person bumps into her, hard enough that Sera stumbles slightly. He's all blond hair and brown eyes, a cruel smile accompanied by so many memories of this boy calling out snarky names to her.

"Sorry to hear about that," Sam Sato coos, though from the smirk he's wielding, it's obvious he could care less. "Sorry life sucks for you."

"You know, I also hate you." Sera points a finger in his direction. I despise you, she wants to snap, though she holds her tongue. For always shoving me in the halls, getting me in trouble, and on top of that, having your mother have to become my stepmother.

Sam just shrugs, unconcerned. "The feeling's mutual," he replies. "Though, Fishy, that dancing in the rain look doesn't really suit you."

"I don't care what you think of me," hisses Sera. "Also, don't even think about calling me Fishy anymore because that nickname is annoying as hell. Anyway, why don't you go back to the school fair? Pretty sure your girlfriend is waiting for you to win that stuffed turtle for her."

"Is someone jealous?" Sam drawls, shooting her a devilish wink.

"If you're implying what I think you are. . ." Her eyes narrow. "I hate you."

"Yeah, you already mentioned that."

It's like a sword fight between you and Sam, Cami once said. One person attacks and the other retaliates.

"You know what?" Sera finally says, mouth pursing. "Just leave me alone. I don't want your bull-crap today."

Sam smiles, though it's not a genuine one. Squinting closer, he makes an exaggerated motion of gasping. "Is little Fishy crying?" he taunts. "Oh my God, Fishy is crying!"

Sera scowls.

"I'm going," she says. "Bye."

Before she can leave, Sam grabs her arm. "Wait," he says, eyes glittering. "I just got a tip from a friend."

"Let me guess," Sera drawls. "Either from Mi Cha or Noah."

Sam smirks. "Ding, ding, ding!" he crows. "And we have a winner! Would you like a free teddy bear? Just kidding. I wouldn't give an innocent doll to you."

"What were you going to say?" she asks, staring pointedly.

"Oh yeah." Sam chuckles. "I just heard a super funny joke. Wanna hear it?"

"It's not like I have a choice."

"Noah says you wrote someone a letter — one with pink hearts and red roses and all that garbage — and mailed that to some guy. Is that true? I'm just curious, you know, being a kind and friendly classmate."

Sera's blood runs cold, though she forces her expression to remain impassive.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," she says calmly.

"You flinched," Sam says gleefully. "You did write a love note."

"It's not a love note," Sera barks. "Your friend Noah is blind, by the way! It's homework!"

He crosses his arms, looking like he doesn't believe her. "Homework," he repeats. "You decorate it with hearts? Put roses for the frame? Even add glitter?"

Don't let him get to you, Sera chants. Don't let him get to you, don't let him get to you, don't let him get to you

"I know the truth." Sam fixes his brown eyes on her. "You like Noah, don't you?"

Sera gapes at him.

"I'm joking," he laughs, pointing at her face. "I can't believe you fell for that."

Her eyebrows furrow together, relief coursing through her veins.

Then—

"You have a crush on Junjie."

Those six words.

No.

He found out the truth.

"What?" Sera sputters. "What the hell are you talking about?"

Sam leans closer.

"You know what I'm talking about," he whispers. "Oh, Junjie, you look awfully handsome today! Oh, Junjie, you can kick a soccer ball! Oh, Junjie, look at me even though I'm a complete nobody!"

"Shut the hell up!" Sera lashes out, anger making her eyes burn. "You don't know what you're talking about!"

"Oh, yes I do," Sam croons. "Our little Fishy is in love! And with Junjie, no less, captain of the soccer team and straight A student!"

Sera grits her teeth.

"Please leave before I punch your ugly face," she growls.

"No can do," he says. "We still got to discuss more things. You know, I'm thinking Junjie will be very shocked when he realizes that you love him."

"I don't love him!" Sera yells. "Just shut up!"

Sam frowns.

"Behave, Fishy," he says, shaking his head in disapproval.

"Why am I still talking to you?" Sera screams, before shoving him to the side with a huff. "I'm leaving and you're not stopping me!"

"Fine. Leave." Sam sounds bored. "But when you're in school tomorrow, Junjie will know the news."

He winks, that quick motion wicked and sinful — and in that second, Sera knows he won't hesitate to tell.