Chapter 18:

"Heads, I go. Tails, I stay." Sera looks intently at the nickel she's holding in her hand before she releases a deep breath. 

She throws the coin into the air, and it lands on her desk, twirling until— 

Heads. 

"The matter is out of my hands now," Sera says firmly. "I go to Junjie's house." 

Her phone chimes and Sera instinctively looks down. 

anonymous: really, sera? seventy-nine notifications? god, i feel so special. 

A smile makes its way on Sera's lips, as she composes an IM towards the anonymous person. 

Sera: Where the hell were you??? You were gone for, like, two weeks! . . . and you didn't even say anything! 

anonymous: miss me? never mind, don't answer that. i already know the answer. i've grown on you, haven't i? 

Sera: You are so full of yourself, aren't you? 

anonymous: you know the answer to that. 

Sera: So, what were you doing when you left me hanging for two whole weeks? 

anonymous: why do humans have to be so curious? 

Sera: Seriously? 

anonymous: pardon me? 

Sera: My suspicion stands correct: you're totally the merman who kissed me. 

anonymous: do i even want to know? 

Sera: Never mind. 

anonymous: you can't delete messages, so you might as well tell me. a merman kissed you? 

Sera: Yeah, you. 

anonymous: hmm, i originally thought you might've been hallucinating, but since you felt it with almost all your five senses. . . 

Sera: Excuse me? I was not hallucinating! Oh my God. I know who you are. 

anonymous: the probability of you being wrong on the guess is a chance of sixty percent. 

Sera: You're Mr. Fitzpatrick. 

anonymous: that's a question and the answer is no. 

Sera: Well, why not? 

anonymous: "why not"? oh, for god's sake. do i really text like i'm a forty-year-old man who fumbles around with his phone like he's never seen technology? besides, fitzpatrick doesn't even know how to instant message anyone, much less send a simple text. 

Sera: Point taken. 

anonymous: see? i'm always right. 

Sera: No humans are always right. Unless they're mythological creatures like a merman. 

anonymous: honestly, how many times do i have to say this. i am not the merman. 

Sera: You sure about that? 

anonymous: a hundred percent. 

Sera: Deny it all you want, but I know the truth. 

anonymous: you really don't. 

Sera: Okay. Whatever. I don't have time for this. 

anonymous: wait, before you leave. 

Sera: Yeah? 

anonymous: you want to know who i am, yes? 

Sera: Well, yeah. 

anonymous: anyways, google is obviously not going to be much help. so i'll need you to direct me exactly to the crime scene and relay everything moment-by-moment. 

Sera: So I'm going to see you??? As in, like, see you in the face??? 

A dash of thrill slithers through Sera, as she holds her breath, anticipating their reply. 

anonymous: i said that, didn't i? 

Sera: And you're not going to back out of your promise? 

They don't respond. Sera waits for a minute, before sending a second text: Well, I have to go now. Study thing. See you. 

When no response comes, Sera lets out a final sigh and stuffs her phone into her pocket. She throws her coat over her shoulders. 

"Stop stalling," Sera mumbles to herself, as she flings open the front door. "Just don't act stupid and you'll be fine." 

She exhales one more time, sending a quick prayer, before walking out. 

* * * *

The first time Sera had met Nyleve, things didn't exactly go the way she — or her father, for that matter — had planned. 

"Sera, try to be nice to her," Chen pleaded as they pulled into the restaurant parking lot. "I know that you aren't exactly pleased that your mother and I are divorced now." 

Sera just shrugged. 

"It's life," she said. "You can't make it go your way." 

With that final word, Sera hopped out of the car and stalked into the restaurant. 

Italian food, Sera thought darkly, as her eyes found the huge glittering restaurant name in the front. 

That used to be her parents' thing. The one where they went to, where memories were born and happiness was always there. 

But everything was different now. 

Letting out a tiny exhale that sent a transparent puff through the air, Sera shoved open the restaurant door. 

Bright lights and flamboyant decorations greeted Sera, but she didn't pay attention to them. Instead, her gaze zoomed into Table Seven. 

That was where Nyleve was supposed to be. 

Just act calm and dignified, Sera thought. Be polite and don't be bitter just because your father cheated on your mother for her. 

A woman with light brown hair was waiting patiently, her mouth curved into a gentle smile. Sera walked over. 

"Hello," the woman said, her honey-brown eyes flooding with relief. "You must be Sera." 

Sera nodded mutely, sliding into the seat across from the woman. 

"I'm Nyleve," said the woman. 

I know. You're the woman who cheated with my father. On top of that, you're Sam Sato's mother, which makes my hatred for you ten times worse. 

Chen walked over to them, before pressing a light kiss against Nyleve's lips. 

"So," Chen said. "Have you looked at the menu yet, love?" 

Sera tried hard not to grit her teeth or look irritated. She really did try, but it must've shown, because Chen shot her a warning look. 

"Oh, not yet," Nyleve said, either oblivious or pretending she didn't see the look. "I was waiting for you." 

You. 

Her father, not Sera. 

It was clear that Sera wasn't welcomed. 

"Have you tried the lasagna here?" Nyleve asked. "It's actually quite good." 

"Actually I have tried it plenty of times," Sera interrupted. "Me, my father, and my mother used to come here all the time. Lasagna's my favorite." 

She flashed Nyleve a sweet smile. 

"Oh, that's nice," Nyleve replied, after a few seconds of hesitation. "So what are you planning on getting?" 

"Me?" Sera asks. "I know you two would prefer I not be interrupting your date night. I mean, my father did force you to bring me, after all."