Chapter 2:

The harbor is the one place Sera can truly settle in without being interrupted or annoyed. It's the one place she can go in and just breathe. 

Releasing a tiny sigh, Sera gazes down at the calm water, almost wishing she can join in with the smooth currents and have the purpose of knowing where to go. 

Water gently seeps into her thin leggings, the substance icy and cold. For a moment, she thinks my mother is going to kill me before she remembers — her mother isn't living with her anymore. 

Sera lets out a long and suffering noise, one that draws out transparent puffs. Her eyes scan the dark and inky water, trying to find anything that can distract her about what happened in the fair. 

"He can't tell Junjie," she says out loud. "He's going to humiliate me." 

The moment those words slip out, she knows Sam won't hesitate to tell. What Sam wouldn't do to make her feel humiliated, just so he can have the pleasure of seeing her a coward. 

Sera shivers, both from the icy winds and the dark thought. 

From the moment Sam had met her eyes, it had been hate from first sight. Sera hated the way his lips curled up into a derisive sneer and the way he spoke in a conceding voice. From fourth grade to high school, Sam had only gotten worse. 

Tripping her in the halls, calling her Fishy in front of everyone. Pretending that Sera had cheated on a test, getting her expelled for punching Sam in the face. 

On top of that, Cami Wilson — Sera's best friend  — had a crush on that boy, which made each insult ten times worse. 

After high school, Sera was definitely going to move away from this little town. 

"I should've brought a flashlight," she mumbles under her breath, pulling the thin coat closer to her body. 

Not should've. Definitely should have. If Sera had known how dark it would be, she would've brought the flashlight. 

Huffing, Sera takes out her cell phone, checking to see if there are any missed calls or texts. Luckily, none from her mother or father. 

Unluckily, a bunch is from Cami, demanding to know why she ditched her at the fair and telling Sera what a horrible friend she was. 

Her last text — call me asap — flashes in Sera's face. 

There's no point in avoiding it. 

Sera dials Cami's number and almost instantly, the blond-haired girl picks up. "Seraphina." Cami glowers back, green eyes furious. "I swear to God, when I see you again, my hands will find your neck and you'll die a slow and painful death." 

"Hello, Cami," Sera says wryly. "Nice to see you too." 

"You had me stuck next to Mi Cha in line!" shouts Cami. "She literally kept hogging the vending machine! I'm never, ever going to a school fair again if you're going to ditch me!" 

"I'm sorry," Sera sighs. "I just. . . Sam said something about my dad, and I couldn't handle it anymore." 

"How about we make a plan? The next time we see Sam, we'll choke him for a slow and painful death." 

"Sounds good to me." 

Both of them are quiet for a second. Then Cami speaks up, her eyes worried. "Are you sure you're okay?" she asks. "I know Nyleve just moved into your house." 

"Yeah, I'm fine." Sera makes her point by scoffing. "Sam's still mad though." 

Cami winces. "I mean, he's losing his mom too," she says gently. "It would make sense—" 

"He doesn't have to project it all on me!" Sera shouts, surprising them both from the volume. "I mean, just because his mom isn't living in his house anymore, doesn't mean he gets to shove me harder in the halls." 

"You're right," Cami says, before squinting. "Where the hell are you anyway? Oh God. Don't tell me you're in a dark room. Or a dark bedroom, doing something inappropriate. Girl, if I'm interrupting something, I can leave. Haven't you been raised better? It's rude to be on your phone while your partner is patiently waiting for you." 

"What? I'm not doing anything!" 

"Right. Uh-huh. I totally believe you." Cami giggles, her mouth curving into a mischievous grin. "Just kidding." 

Sera rolls her eyes. 

"I'm guessing you snuck out," Cami sighs, her face once again composed. "You're in the harbor, aren't you?" 

"You know me well," Sera says. 

"I know," Cami sings back. "I'm your best friend. Now girl, come pick me up! Mi Cha's giving me the evil eye now. Says the sound of my voice is giving her a migraine." 

"Can't you take the bus?" Sera complains. "It's raining, and I'm not going to go back." 

"You promised me pizza!" Cami's eyebrows knit together. "Come on, Sera! What do you always say? Never go back on your promises or else karma will come back and haunt you." 

Sera lets out an exasperated groan. "Fine, I'll be there in ten minutes." 

Cami flashes a dazzling smile. "And don't be late!" she chirps, before ending the call. 

Sera stares out at the dark waters. 

Stop stalling, she orders herself. You're going to find nothing here.

Sera starts to head out near the stop where the bus makes every night when she glances down. Crap. It's six minutes past nine. 

Cami's definitely not going to be happy that she'll have to find a new ride, Sera thinks, before her eyes widen.  

Her gaze zooms into the obvious "two percent" left in the battery. Before she can do anything — make a single call or text — the screen drains black. 

Sera gapes in disbelief. 

"This day keeps getting better and better!" Sera says brightly. "My enemy's mother just moved into my house, Sam ambushed me during the fair and now my freaking phone is dead—" 

Then she hears it. 

A blood-curdling scream that makes the hair on her skin raise.