Chapter 5:

"I find it hard to believe that there's a hot merman in the harbor named Caspian," Mr. Fitzpatrick says, voice coated with skepticism. "I'm sorry, Sera, but maybe this is just another one of your. . . hallucinations, as your therapist has said before." 

It is Monday morning and Sera has traveled to the police office. Now she's starting to regret the decision, as the middle-aged policeman is barely listening to what she's saying. 

"It's not a hallucination!" Sera insists. "I'm telling you last night, I saw a merman! He was making all these people jump into the water! You know that ocean storm that happened last night? That was him." 

Mr. Fitzpatrick squints. "You know what this sounds like?" he asks, and when Sera shakes her head, he continues. "A bunch of bull-crap." 

Her eyes narrow, anger boiling through her blood. "I swear, it's not crap," she says. "I know what I saw." 

A tired sigh escapes Mr. Fitzpatrick, while frustration mounts through Sera. "There have been disappearances in our town for generations," she barrels on. "Whenever people are kidnapped, their minds are wiped clean. Rosie, Steven, Charlotte — and the most recent, Avelyn Roberts. There has to be an explanation and I think the merpeople are the reason." 

Mr. Fitzpatrick blinks.

"This is real life," he says slowly, as if the fact isn't already clear. "Not one of those stupid fictional books you read."

Sera raises her chin an inch. 

"You have to believe me, sir!" she says. "I know it's hard to believe, but merpeople are real—" 

"Don't you have school to get to?" he asks, glancing pointedly at the clock hanging from the wall. 

* * * * 

Sera's sneakers slap against the rough concrete as she gasps for air, lungs feeling like it's about to explode. 

She rounds the corner, veering sharply to the right. 

Her legs protest, wanting to just slow down and walk, but she forces herself to run. "Cami!" Sera calls out, seeing her best friend's trademark long blonde hair. 

Cami turns a fraction, her lips kicking up into a grin. "You know I'm supposed to be mad at you, right?" Cami says. "You. Abandoned. Me." 

Sera laughs, dark eyes glittering with amusement. "I was late to the bus station," she replies, saying that as an excuse, "so you can't blame me."

Cami's eyebrows raise, before she smoothly changes the subject. "Where were you this morning?" Cami asks. "I thought we planned to walk together."

"I saw a merman yesterday night. I was at Mr. Fitzpatrick's office." 

"You saw a merman." 

"Yes."

"Tell me you're joking."

"I'm not," Sera singsongs. "I really did see a merman."

Cami laughs. "You know I love you with all my heart, but a merman? Really, Sera?" 

Sera stares, stunned.

"Are you saying that I made this whole thing up?" she demands. "Because I didn't! I saw him!" 

"Girl, are you sure you saw right?" Cami asks skeptically. "I mean, you did say it was pretty dark, yeah?" 

"It was dark, but his tail — it had some sort of glowing thing!"

A few of their classmates give them a side glance, but they are all used to Sera's random outbursts at random times.

"Okay. Look." Sera exhales, trying to push down the feel of suffocating pressure. "I know it sounds stupid, but I really did see something!"

Cami nods slowly. "You aren't one to lie," her friend says. "But what if — and I'm not saying you're lying — what if you didn't see correctly? No offense, but if you told Mr. Fitzpatrick, he would kick you out of his office."

Sera looks down.

"He already did that," she mumbles. "He said I was reading too many books."

Cami gives her a sympathetic smile, one that makes Sera want to scream. For God's sake, how hard is it to imagine that merpeople are real?

"You clearly don't believe me," Sera says coldly, sweeping her body forward. "Fine. Then I guess I'll have to find someone who will."

Cami rolls her eyes. "If you find evidence, maybe I will believe you!" she calls out. "But until then, you're trying to mess with me!"

Sera grits her teeth.

Cami wants evidence?

Fine! She'll give it to her!

Sera will just need time to think of what to use as evidence.

"The only evidence I can bring is hard evidence," she murmurs. "Since a lot of people don't believe in merpeople, I guess I'll just have to find that merman — and kidnap him."

It's a dark thought.

Sera has never kidnapped anyone in her life — nor has she ever thought of doing that. 

"You really expect that you're going to get away with kidnapping?" Cami scoffs, voice dripping with derision. "That's a crime, you know."

Before Sera can fire back a response, her gaze latches onto someone — Junjie.