Chapter 40: Most Loyal Servant of the Goddess

Trigger Warning: This chapter contains a character having anxiety attack
---

Qiaoli was aware what she was doing was irrational. She could kill traceless assassins because society wouldn't look for them. On the other hand, attacking Mao Zhu now was disadvantageous to her.

And yet, she couldn't help herself. Her emotions had been fluctuating since she woke up. The slightest things could trigger her.

Unfortunately, the sole thing she knew how to vent was to kill. That was what she had been doing before so she was falling back to her old routine.

Unbeknownst to her, Mao Zhu had gotten closer to the Emperor. Closer than what she imagined.

Or maybe, she saw it coming but didn't bother to look into it. If she did, she should've gotten a clue about the assassins coming after her.

But what could she do even if she knew?

Hong Chun was just an average girl. She was a little bit clever but lacked Quiet Plum's decisiveness and abilities.

Now that she knew she was Huang Qiaoli, she wouldn't be able to use that name for anything here in Great Han.

Thinking of all that had happened in a span of a few nights and the things she experienced even before that, a string seemed to have been cut inside her mind and she gasped for air. She repeatedly breathed but no oxygen wanted to enter her lungs.

She didn't know what was happening. She didn't even know who she was anymore. Fear gripped her chest. Where did it come from?

Breathe!

Akin to a building on fire, alarms rang inside her mind.

Where could she go? There was only blood behind and before her.

"Ack!" She felt a shock on her kneecaps as she wasn't aware how she fell on the ground.

There was warm fluid flowing down her cheeks. She recalled the rain was cold and not warm.

"Milady!" Si Hai was alarmed as he attempted to run Huang Qiaoli but sharp blades prevented him from moving.

He could have released his beast form again but he knew Qiaoli's attitude. She didn't want these people to know about his ability. He bit his lip as he watched her clutch her head trying so hard to breathe.

Si Hai was actually scared too. He didn't know what was happening to her. She seemed fine just moments ago.

In fact, Qiaoli overestimated herself. She thought she was alright when she woke up without damages to her body. Qin Yu healed her physical wounds but there was something he couldn't heal.

It was also the reason why the herald decided to seal her memories for fourteen years after bringing her back to this world.

The spiritual stress and trauma of passing dimensions could drive anyone insane. Qiaoli could stand up because her mental capacity was already enhanced with her being an AI previously. 

But as the memories started to sink, she wasn't bound to be okay.

Huang Qiaoli realized she was having a panic attack when all she could see was mud and she tasted bile and iron in her mouth.

The group of people stood frozen under the rain as the only lady was on the forest floor, gasping for air. She sometimes punched herself or scratched her skin, causing thin bloody trails.

Si Hai wanted to shout her name very much but none of the two names in his tongue was appropriate at the moment.

Mao Zhu's pupils sank at the sight before him. He didn't know what to do with this person. She seemed to be suffering pain but he instinctively knew that he wouldn't be safe if he got close to her. Even though she was huddled on the ground, the thick intent to kill hung over her body.