Chapter 16: Moving Forward

March 22, 1989
1:10pm
Kujo Residence

     Kakyoin had arrived at 1:00pm like promised. We are currently in my room getting ready to start today's lesson, he has just been talking to me about the steps I learned this past week but I zoned out when he first started talking.

"...that means you have gotten everything down to do a simple box step waltz." Kakyoin's finished.  I snapped my attention back to Kakyoin only catching the end of his sentence. What does he mean by a box step waltz?

"What's a box step waltz?" I asked, curious as to what I probably missed when he was talking.

"It means you can do the waltz." Kakyoin answered. I stood there for a couple seconds just staring at him. What he said didn't register in my mind for a good minute, until it finally hit me. I can do the waltz, I can do the waltz! Fuck yes I can do the waltz! It felt as if fireworks were going off inside my head. It's been a lot of time, effort, and pain but I did it! I fucking did it! Take that gramps!

"Really?" I decided to say. I can't let him know how excited I am on the inside.

"Mhm." Was Kakyoin's only response. I let out a long sigh.

     I looked at Kakyoin with a small genuine smile, "Thanks for the lessons, I wouldn't have been able to do this if it weren't for you." Kakyoin then did something that took me by surprise. He started laughing. "What's so funny?" I questioned, now genuinely confused.

Kakyoin looked at me still laughing a little, "Joot, our lessons aren't over." They're what.

"What the hell do you mean, 'they're not over', you just said I could do the waltz." I squinted at him starting to get irritated.

"I did say you could do the waltz, but it is only a box step. Which means that it is incredibly simple, so I'm adding more to it so that you can do a proper waltz." Kakyoin explained. "Did you not listen to a thing I said?" He was giving me an annoyed look.

"What else could you possibly add to the waltz?" I asked frantically.

"Well, instead of doing the steps to make a box shape, we will be making a circle. We'll also be doing underarm turns." He answered calmly.

"Isn't what I'm doing right now good enough?" I don't understand why it needs to be extra anyways.

"No." Kakyoin deadpanned. Well that's that I guess. I let out a long and deep sigh. Looks like the pain will have to last a little bit longer. "For today's lesson we will just do a recap of everything you've learned in the last week, and then I'll teach you the new step tomorrow." Kakyoin was already making his way to the record player.

"Alright." I groaned, I feel tired and we haven't even started yet.

"That's the spirit!" Kakyoin shouted, an unnecessary amount of excitement in his voice. He started the record and then walked back to me. We got into position. Once we started moving I did ok, but a little bit into it I messed up my footing. Kakyoin told me it was ok and we would just restart. Every time however I would always end up loosing my footing one way or another. My mind was a complete mess, which caused my body to not react properly.

     While I'm panicking about Kakyoin being grossed out by my abnormally sweaty palms, I'm also trying to look into his eyes without actually looking into them. Not only that, but I'm focused on trying not to pass out from my increased body heat and rapid heart rate. Somewhere in there my mind is trying to tell my body what to do when we are dancing. It's fucking chaotic.

     However, the chaos all of a sudden intensified. In a blink of an eye Kakyoin went from composed to shouting in agony. My mind went blank, and then into autopilot as I tried figuring out what the fuck had just happened.