Thanksgiving

For the past six months, everyone had been taking care of me, so thanksgiving was my chance to thank them, by cooking dinner all by myself. Which, of course, includes Y/n and Katie.

  "Happy Thanksgiving, Tom." Alexa spoke to the raw turkey. "Dinner is going to be perfect. I know he doesn't have a head, but I think he heard me."

"Hm. Ok, let's do this, Tom." Katie said to the turkey this time.

"That's his butt." I told her.

"I think he still heard me."

"My schedule is going perfectly." Alexa told us. "Dinner is at 4 o'clock sharp."

"Hey, anytime on your schedule to finally answer my question on why you said no to Dylan?" I asked her.

"Hmm, lets see. Green beans, pumpkin pie, stuffing. No Dylan sorry."

"Hey, I respect your privacy, but Tom needs answers.'

"OK, Tom. I'll say it just this once. Dylan only asked me to the dance because he feels sorry for me."

"I don't thi--" Katie started before Alexa cut her off.

"This is a private conversation, Katie."

Lucas walked in looking kinda down. "Hey, guys."

"You're up early." Alexa said.

"I went to get coffee." He said before he threw the full cup in the trash.

"Oh, another coffee in the trash." Alexa said. "Looks like another fail with the new barista who's way too cool for you."

"T-the who? The what?" Katie asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about. You really think  she's too cool for me?" He asked. I couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealousy, which I pushed down far away just like I did after the whole basketball thing.

"Of course not!" Katie stammered. "But also yes."

"What happened?" I asked.

"I ordered my drink and she gave it to me. And then she said next."  After he said that my face showed obvious confusion.

"She's horrible!" Katie said. Right after he said that he noticed me and Katies hair that was finally growing.

"Whoa! Katie, your hair's really coming in. You too Y/n. Looks good." He said the last part mostly to me which made me kinda confused.

"Thanks!" Katie said. "I'll never be too cool, just FYI."

My phone dinged and I ran over to it. "Ooh, our dads on his way! I can't wait. It's been so long."

"I wonder what he'll think of us." Katie said. "Ah, what am i saying? He'll be so impressed. I mean, we are making thanksgiving dinner!" Katie said while she took my phone from me.

"Are you?" Alexa asked, as she was the only one doing anything.

"Oh, yes I am." She said picking up a potato. "Peel, peel, and now we have to go. But we'll be back to help you do this all by yourself."

"Dad's life is so exciting. Last month he was in Congo, saving elephants." Katie said as we helped mom clean up.

"Yeah, and now he's in Mexico saving leatherback turtles." I said.

"Well, I saved that hamster from behind the dryer. I'm more of a quiet hero." Mom told us.

"So much has happened over the last two years." Katie said. "Our phone calls are so short. I just can't wait to have a real conversation with him." I nodded along agreeing to her.