37: Welcome to Beacon Hills

Odette dropped her arm down so her gun was pointed to the ground instead as she slowly turned her head to look at her brother, "Dad's seriously giving Andre another test?"

Erik shrugged his shoulder as he kicked himself off the wall, "Andre's pissed about it. He thinks dad is punishing him for signing up for college."

"Yeah, he is." Odette speaks bluntly, she was the youngest of the four Mercier children. The oldest was Andre, then Erik, then herself, and then her younger sister Estelle. "It's some place north of California, you think dad likes his little prodigy going miles away to some little town? What was the name again?"

"Beacon Hills." Andre interrupts with his arms crossed over his chest, "You guys mad as well?"

"Why do you suddenly care about college?" Erik asks him, he just graduated from high school and didn't think about it but his brother was, "You graduated... what? Five years ago? Why the sudden interest?"

"Or do you just want to get away from all of this?" Odette pointed to the shooting range with her gun, "Away from the Mercier life?"

Erik waited for a response from his brother but it didn't come, "Are you kidding me? You're basically meant to take over the Mercier family once dad dies."

"I'm not entirely sure-" Andre shook his head, "Nevermind, you guys won't understand."

Erik only shook his head in irritation and took the gun from Odette, who chased after her older brother as Estelle snuck into the room. He turned his head to look at her, "What are you doing in here?"

"Dad said he was going to bring me on my first hunt soon."Estelle whispers while getting up from the ground, "I'm scared." She watched as her older brother tensed up as he inhaled before he exhaled deeply. "I'm sorry."

"Andre." Odette called out to him with a huff and followed him outside, "Hey, stop."

"I'm seriously not in a mood to argue right now." Andre tells her with a long sigh, "You guys can be angry at me for all I care, I just don't think-"

"I'm not mad." She cuts him off entirely with a scowl on her face, "I don't blame you for wanting to leave. I just... I only want to know why."

"Have you heard dad lately?" Andre demanded as if his reason should be blatantly obvious, "He is making Estelle learn to hunt now because it'll be easier to shape her mind at a young age. She's only ten. He knows he can't control the three of us because of how old we are, but he can start with Estelle."

Odette crossed her arms over her chest, "Estelle's a smart kid. I don't think dad can just rub off on her."

"Are you sure?" Andre demands while moving his curls from his face, "I've been watching Gerard lately, he seems to have gotten Kate wrapped around his finger."