38: Secrets in a House

Odette stared at Paige as she brushed some of her hair behind her ear

Odette stared at Paige as she brushed some of her hair behind her ear. They had gone to the library together to talk since it felt more private, especially during class periods. It was primarily empty except a few students reading and the librarian.

"So, you know very little." Odette thinks out loud while leaning back in the uncomfortable school chair, "Okay, I'm just going to go over this again. You know that your father was best friends with Chris. And you recently learned your family were hunters from your Aunt Maggie. What else has your Aunt told you?"

"Nothing really. I just know that she's kept this from me."

"Mmhm." Odette huffed softly since this wasn't much help then, "I get if you don't trust me. You wouldn't be your father's daughter if you suddenly trusted me with your life. But... I swear to you, I'm not here to hurt you in any way."

Paige wondered if Odette knew that she was keeping the fact that she was supernatural or that one of her closest friends was. "I know that you don't agree with the code, but... that could have been something you just said to me to make me trust you. I want to trust you. But my own Aunt who raised me kept things from me. I told you everything that I know about my family but that's it. I want to know why I was kept a secret from my family, so maybe you should ask my aunt."

Odette could only nod her head in understanding, "Thank you for your time, Paige. I hope Christine doesn't bother you too much." She wrote something down in one of Paige's notebooks and closed it, "Call me if you ever need something."

"I will." Paige says truthfully while piling her stuff into her backpack, she paused while Odette got up, "Uh..."

Odette slowly sat back down, "Is there something else?"

"I just..." Paige pressed her lips together and slowly put her backpack on, "Are there other things out there... besides werewolves?"

Odette chose not to point out that Paige never once said she knew about werewolves, "Yes, there is. Why are you asking?"

"I was just really curious." Paige admitted softly even though she definitely lied just then. She just wanted to know that she was something and nothing was wrong with her. "I mean... if werewolves are real, there has to be others, right?"

"Right." Odette answers while watching Paige quickly get up and leave. She knew that Paige was keeping something from her but it wasn't her right to pry and ask about it. She rubbed at her forehead as her brain wracked everything. She wanted to know why Erik hadn't said anything about it.

Paige ran down the hall because she wanted to find Stiles or Scott, but just as she made it to the staircase she rammed directly into Scott. She almost fell back but caught herself and then even steadied Scott.

"Whoa-"

Scott blinked his eyes a few times, "Oh, thank God. You're okay." He instantly hugged her which made him pick up her small frame, "What happened? Are you okay? Gerard is-"