Stepping Up

"You're mature now, Aurora."

"I beg to differ."

Alice Morrison glared at her daughter through the screen. Aurora hated how she could feel the disappointment even when they weren't even in the same country.

Aurora Morrison only had one thought running through her head ever since she had been left in charge of the Institute:

You're the leader...and you will fight for these people no matter the cost.

"You will go to the New York Institute in my place as acting head until I arrive," her mother ordered.

"Why can't they just wait a few more days for your arrival?" she asked.

"The Clave doesn't trust the Lightwoods to run the Institute without bias, especially with Clary Fairchild being Valentine's daughter," she explained, "They need me here. You are the only one I trust to handle this."

Aurora laughed sarcastically and stretched back, "In case you forgot, there is a whole other Institute over here that still needs leadership. I can't exactly leave them."

"Your brother will take over. This is exactly what we've been preparing you for-"

"We?" she asked rhetorically.

"It was always the plan to train you to become a Clave representative while your brother took over the Institute."

She groaned and moved out of the screen's way to tear at the roots of her hair in anger. When her frustration was out, she moved back into the view and faked a smile, "Fine. I'll go, but it's not permanent."

"Make me proud."

Her mother ended the call and Aurora dropped her facade. Her younger brother joined her the instant he heard his mother's voice disappear.

"Is mom being her usual beastly self?" he asked, a smirk resting on his face.

"You know it."

He leaned against the table next to her and wrapped his arm around her shoulder, "What did she want?"

She sighed, "I have to make a trip to the New York Institute. It's only for a few days, but I need you to take over here while I'm gone."

"No problem, big sis."

She smiled and kissed his cheek lightly before packing a travel bag. Her brother went through some leadership protocols as she got ready to leave. When she was ready, he led her to the main entrance where their warlock friend, Gianna, waited.

"Before you go, I need to run some things by you," she informed.

"Actually," she slapped a hand down on her brother's shoulder, "Eddie will be taking care of everything for the next few days."

Gianna nodded and opened a portal to the New York Institute. Aurora smirked as Eddie's mouth dropped, "Oh, screw you-"

She hopped through the portal and cut off her brother's words. She landed in front of a run down cathedral. She sighed before walking through the doors, revealing a high tech base of operations.