The Beginning of a New War

"This isn't going to go well," Rory muttered as they walked into the vast room.

Luke, Magnus, Raphael, and the Seelie Queen sat around the center table, waiting for the shadowhunters.

"Where is Simon?" the Queen asked, sitting upon the middle chair like it was her throne.

"Your majesty," Clary greeted bitterly, "What an unpleasant surprise."

"I'm sure she didn't mean that," Alec said respectfully.

"No offense Alec, but I agree with Clary," Jace interrupted, "Is this another one of your little games?"

She sighed, "The Institute called an emergency meeting of the downworlder council. I speak on behalf of the downworld."

"All of them?" Rory questioned, crossing her arms.

"Henceforth, if you need anything from the downworld you shall speak to me, Ms. Morrison."

"It's Lightwood," Alec corrected coldly, glaring harshly at the Queen for her sudden drop of information.

She ignored the comment, "Such is the nature of our new agreement."

Alec sighed angrily, "Your highness, Valentine believes the Institute has the Mortal Mirror. He's not going to leave the city without it. We'd like the downworlders aid."

"In order to capture him so that he can escape again?" she asked rhetorically.

"In order to execute him," Rory snapped, stepping closer to the young girl, "So this threat can finally end."

"While I have no trouble believing your personal intentions, Aurora...how do we know we can trust you?"

Rory glanced at Alec momentarily and sighed, "I understand that the incident with the Soul Sword has caused some distrust. And for that, we are truly sorry. But we founded this council to make things more transparent between the downworld and the Clave."

"And how has that been going?" she sneered.

"Without the addition of your agitation amongst everyone, I'm sure it would be more of a success," Rory seethed.

Alec stepped up to her side and held her arm back lightly, "It's a work in progress...as all great traditions start."

The queen stood up, "For far too long, the downworld has depended on the Clave and this institute to protect us from men like Valentine. It's time we learnt our lesson and defend ourselves."

"We can't do this alone," Rory argued, "Valentine is a threat to all of us...despite our blood or historic differences."

"The answer, shadowhunters," she said snidely, "Is no."

She motioned for her guards to follow as she walked out. They turned around in disbelief and watched as they disappeared down the hall. Rory grit her teeth and clenched her fist, glancing back at Magnus.

He looked down in guilt, avoiding her angered eyes. She huffed and stormed off. Alec weakly tried to reach for her but she shrugged off his hand and continued.

She walked to the ops center and swiped through all the security protocols. She feverishly checked every scanner, ward, and camera they controlled before Alec walked in. He leaned his back against the table and crossed his arms.

"What's wrong?" he questioned, lowering his voice to keep the conversation private.

"Nothing."

"Doesn't seem like nothing."

She sighed and momentarily stopped to glance at his concerned eyes, "Johnathon was right under our noses the whole time. I knew something was wrong with Sebastian and I failed to act on it...now our people are dead."