Fear Belongs To Effort

Rory rolled her eyes as she walked to Aldertree's office. Apparently, he hadn't cleared her to join the mission to visit the Iron Sisters.

She was fuming as she opened the door, "What the hell?"

"To what does this refer to?" he asked innocently.

"You didn't clear me for the mission? Why not?"

He held his hands up to caution her from approaching, "You're still recovering from Valentine's capture and the demon possession attacks."

"I can handle it."

He chuckled, "I don't doubt that. But as I see it, you must stay here under my watch."

"You forget that I run the Institute as well," she scoffed, "You can't control me."

"It seems I can."

She stepped closer and got in his face. Her fists clenched and she could feel the heat magically emanating from her grip.

"Go to hell," she seethed.

"Bold words."

"You wanna punish me for it? Go ahead," she gestured, spreading her arms wide open, "See how that works out for you."

He smirked as she turned around and slammed the door shut on her way out. She stormed to the training room and removed her jacket. She needed to get her anger out. Jace and Alec walked in.

"Need a partner?" Jace asked, picking up his staff.

She shrugged, "I could take you both, if you'd prefer."

Alec shook his head, "I think I'll just watch."

Jace circled her as Alec sat down on the ground. The blonde hit her staff harshly, pushing her back. He lingered on one hit and she used the vulnerability to slip under his hold and smack his back. He grunted as he fell forward, stumbling to keep his balance.

He scoffed, "So that's how you wanna play it?"

She smirked as he spun his staff. She took the offense and pushed him back. He backflipped out of her reach.

"Scared?" Alec teased. Jace glared at him and Rory took the distraction. She jumped at him and alternated sides of attack.

Jace used her move and kicked her legs out from underneath her. She groaned as her shoulder hit the floor, feeling the effects of her injuries.

"You alright?" Jace asked, loosening his hold on his weapon.

She nodded, rolling onto her back. Her injury still felt sore but she played it off. She kicked her legs in a spin and made him fall next to her. His staff was in the air for the second he was falling. She snatched it used it as leverage to pull herself to her feet. When he landed his back, she pushed the end of the staff against his chest.

He huffed in defeat. She smiled but frowned as soon as she saw her hands spark.

"Good job," she said quickly before dropping the staff and running off. Jace and Alec turned to each other in confusion. Alec followed after her.

He found her in their room and gently pushed open the door. He quietly stepped in as she picked up a towel.

"Rory?"

She jumped and dropped the cloth. The surprise ignited a spark from her hands, starting a fire on the material.

Alec's eyes widened as he stared at it. Rory's heart stopped; she knew Alec wouldn't react well.

"What the hell just happened?"

"I-I w-"

"Did you do that?"