Hallucinations

"Alec! Where are my clothes?"

He stepped out of the bathroom with a mouth full of toothpaste. He shrugged as she looked all over the place for her shirts.

"When was the last time we did laundry?" she muttered.

He shrugged again and went to spit out his toothpaste. She grumbled under her breath as she checked the time. She snatched one of Alec's shirts from the chair and slipped it on quickly.

It was definitely too big for her but she had no time to worry about it. He leaned against the door frame as she pulled her jacket on.

He smiled, "I like that you're wearing my shirt but it's a little big on you."

She rolled her eyes, "Obviously...but I can't seem to find my shirts and I was supposed to be meeting Magnus five minutes ago."

She pecked his cheek and opened a portal, bidding a brief goodbye before jumping through. She didn't bother knocking as she entered the apartment. Magnus greeted her in the living room with a glass of orange juice.

"What is the purpose of your visit today?" he asked.

"I have a few questions," she said simply, "One, can I check your magic books to see if I can get any matches regarding the Owl?"

"Of course," he agreed.

She thanked him and slowly paced back. Magnus tilted his head in suspicion and prompted her to go on.

"Is it possible," she started unsurely, "To bring someone back to life?"

He casually shrugged and dipped his drink, "I suppose there are a few ways, none of which I consider good. But it's possible."

"What do you mean you don't consider them good?" she questioned, sitting opposite from him.

"Sometimes people are brought back under debt to their reviver, or they've lost a piece of their soul during the journey through the living and the dead," he explained, "Not many shadowhunters come back...and if they do, it's a decision that most people regret."

"Is it a permanent revival?"

"Most of the time...no."

She sighed and bounced her leg nervously. Magnus laid a hand on her knee to stop the motion, "Why so interested?"

Rory tried not to reveal anything but she was dying inside. If anyone could help her understand, it would be Magnus. She exhaled shortly and abruptly pulled down her jacket. She pointed to her newly appeared parabatai rune.

He glanced at it and gasped. He gently prodded at it, testing its authenticity. His wide eyes made contact with her own, "I don't understand how this is possible."

"I don't either," she admitted, "When Alec's rune faded, it was only for a few minutes. It could've been a mistaken death. But mine's been gone for two years now. It doesn't make sense."

"What does this mean?" he questioned, "The only reason it would show up again would be if-"

"He's alive."

-

Rory chased Magnus throughout the apartment. He was pacing back and forth through every room, shaking his hands dismissively.

"Magnus, please help me!"

"I'm not even sure how this is possible!" he argued, "Jack died two years ago."

"I'm aware, I was there," she snapped, "But my rune came back and...I've been seeing him."

He stopped and turned to her. His eyes held importance, "What do you mean you've been seeing him?"

She sighed and ran a hand through her hair, "He appeared to me a few weeks ago. And then again at your apartment when Maryse came over for dinner. I didn't say anything because I thought it was just hallucinations."

"You mean to tell me that you've communicated with the dead?" he questioned.

"He's not dead!" she shouted in exasperation, "He spoke to me, Magnus! He almost touched my skin!"

She lowered her voice and calmed herself, "He's alive...I don't know how or why, but he is. And I need your help."

Magnus looked at her pitifully and felt her pain transfer to him. He could see how the thought of her once lost brother was draining her. Her whole body was tensed and her eyes watered.

He sighed and pulled her in for a hug, "I'll do my best to help you find him."

"Thank you."

-

Alec had been searching for Rory all day. According to Magnus, she left his apartment earlier that afternoon but hadn't arrived at the Institute since. He was about to call her again but he strolled into his office and caught her figure standing by the window.

"There you are!" he said in relief, "I've been calling you all day."

She took another glance at the city lights before turning to him. His face immediately softened as he saw the tears that trailed down her cheeks.

"What's wrong?" he asked, urgently stepping closer to hold her arms.

More tears rolled down her face as she broke down in his embrace. He held her up and rubbed her back soothingly.

"Aurora, what's going on?"

She hiccuped, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I-I wasn't sure what was happening and-"

"Okay, hey," he interrupted, pulling back from the hug to calm her down, "Just take it slow."

She nodded and wiped off her tears. She sniffled and took a few deep breaths, "I haven't been completely honest with you. But ever since the night we defeated Valentine...I've been seeing my brother."

"Eddie?" he questioned.

She shook her head, "No...Jack, my parabatai."

He furrowed his brows, "But he died."

"I know. But I've seen him twice now, and every time he's just disappeared. The first time was the night of Valentine's defeat, and the second was when we had dinner with your mom," she informed.

"Are you sure you're not just seeing things?" Alec asked warily, "Trauma can have side effects."

"I thought I was hallucinating at first too, but then he spoke to me. And then this," she revealed her rune, "Appeared again."

Alec gently examined her arm. She sniffled again as he stared at it curiously, "I don't know what's happening, Alec. He's been dead but now he's alive? How?"

He shook his head in confusion. When he looked back up at her face, he saw complete brokenness. Her eyes were red and watery from the crying. Every bone in her body trembled.

She stared at Alec with an intense plead for help, "My brother..."

A single tear dropped down her cheek and Alec was quick to wipe it away. He pulled her in for another hug, cradling her body completely. She wrapped her arms around his waist loosely, feeling numb in every part of her.

"It's okay," he assured, "We'll figure it out. If Jack really is alive...then we'll do everything in our power to find him."

"Do you really believe he's alive?" she asked hopefully.

"I believe in you," he stated, "And if you think he's back...then he's alive."

"And we're gonna find him?"

He nodded, "Whatever it takes."

---