Nice Guy

"Thank you for doing this Magnus. We appreciate all your help," Rory said to the warlock.

"Anything for an old friend. My protections will not stop them but it will slow them down," Magnus said.

"Extra time is priceless," Robert commented.

Magnus frowned, "Wait until you get my bill."

"I'll take care of it," she assured.

Robert walked off and Alec joined his sister below. Magnus pulled Rory close, "It's about that time of the year again. How are you feeling?"

She shrugged, "Same as always."

She noticed how the sibling's ears perked up, listening closely to their conversation with subtlety.

"I doubt that, dear Aurora."

"I'm fine."

"Death can be hard...even after time."

"Magnus, I told you. I'm fine," she snapped.

He stopped at her outburst and she felt instant regret, "I'm sorry. I'm just stressed, I didn't mean to be harsh."

He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder before she bid him goodbye and briskly walked to her room. She quietly shut the door and pulled out her phone.

There were at least ten messages from Eddie asking where she was. He was waiting for her at their institute, praying his big sister would show up.

Truth is, she didn't want to. She hated facing the reality of the situation. The Clave asked her to help their people move on. But she didn't know how...since she couldn't move on herself.

Her anger throughout the past few days flowed out of her, pushing her to swipe at her desk angrily. She knocked over everything that stood, all of her possessions falling to the floor. The sound of glass cracking caught her attention. Her breath trembled as she picked up the broken picture frame.

It was a picture of her entire family: her mom, dad, and both of her brothers. She gently caressed the faces of her father and brother with her thumb.

Their bright faces brought tears to her eyes. They fell when she brought the picture to rest on the trashed desk. She sniffled and cried her tears until the door abruptly opened.

She turned her head the other way and wiped them away quickly. She hid the picture behind her arm and faced Alec.

He immediately noticed her red eyes and softened. She forced herself to look normal and regained her composure.

"Do you need something?" she asked coldly.

He held out a file, "I figured I would give these to you."

She quickly took the papers and opened it, skimming through it to distract herself. She thought Alec would've left but he stepped closer and looked over her shoulder.

"Is that your family?" he asked, noticing the picture.

She nodded.

"I haven't met your dad or your other brother, but I'm sure they're just like you."

He reached to pick up the frame but she pushed it underneath the file and turned back to him.

"Is this all?" she questioned.

He looked between the hidden picture and her face with confused expressions. He decided not to prod and nodded.

"I'll get these back to you as soon as possible."