Drunk on Immortality

"Well at least we know who the better cook is."

Rory laughed as Alec bit into his pancakes. She poured some more syrup on her own stack, "Having magic has its perks. Making perfect pancakes being one of them."

He forced a small smile as she sat down. He waited a few moments before clearing his throat, "Speaking of magic...how did the conversation with Magnus go?"

She paused and slowly finished chewing her food. She knew Alec would somehow bring it up.

"It went fine," she shrugged.

"And?"

She sighed and set down her fork, "What do you want me to say, Alec?"

His tone rose, "I want you to tell me the truth."

She rolled her eyes and he leaned in closer, "Rory...I need to know."

"Look, it's not simple," she stated, "We aren't sure."

"You aren't sure if you're immortal or not?" he questioned unbelievably.

She scoffed, "Alec-"

"This is important, Rory!" he shouted, "I need to know and you can't keep hiding it from me like I'm a child!"

"Then stop acting like one!"

She realized her words and gasped lightly. Alec's face made her feel instant regret. She bowed her head and sighed.

"I've lost my appetite," he muttered.

He threw his napkin on the table and stormed off. She tried to stop him but he was already out the door.

She sighed and looked up in frustration, "Great...just what I needed."

-

Rory was walking back from the ops center when she bumped into someone in the hallway.

"Maryse!" she exclaimed, "Uh, what are you doing here?"

"I thought I would visit my family," she explained, "It's been a trying week."

Rory's eyebrows raised in remembrance, "Right...your deruning."

Maryse nodded solemnly but saw the disturbed face of her daughter in law. Rory was shifting her feet awkwardly and twiddled her thumbs.

"Is everything okay?" Maryse asked.

Rory thought about lying but she knew that Maryse would see right through it. She laughed lightly to ease the tension, "Alec and I just got into a little fight."

"Oh! Well that's only normal for a couple."

"Not this couple."

Maryse smiled lightly and placed a hand on her shoulder, "As my daughter in law...I'll tell you that you two can go against anything together. I doubt a single fight will hurt."

Rory nodded and smiled in thanks. Maryse gave her a brief hug. When she pulled back, she held Rory by the shoulders, "We're having a family dinner tonight. Isabelle is bringing her date and I'd like to see all of my family in one place. I trust you'll be there?"

Rory sighed and nodded. The older Lightwood smiled again and walked past her. Rory walked back to her room to get ready but Alec was already changing.

He spotted her and turned his back. She bit her lip and moved to change behind a screen. They stayed in awkward silence. She slipped on a dress just as she heard the door open and shut. When she came back out, Alec was gone.