Through Hell Or High Water

"We're not turning Jace over."

"I don't see how you have much say in the matter."

"Watch your mouth," Rory warned calmly, "Or I'll silence it for you."

Meliorn narrowed his eyes but complied, returning back to the point of focus, "He helped kidnap our queen. Jace Herondale needs to pay for his crimes."

"I was undercover!" Jace argued.

"And how many Seelie knights did you injure to maintain your facade?" he asked rhetorically.

Alec took charge, "Jace was trying to buy us enough time to rally a cure for Clary's condition."

"What cannot he denied is that Clarissa Fairchild, a shadowhunter, has committed an act of war," Meliorn seethed.

"Kidnapping the Queen was Johnathon's idea," Rory reasoned, "And if Clary wasn't connected by the rune, she would've stopped him."

"And was it also Johnathon's plan for Clary to murder the Seelie agent that's currently rotting in your morgue?"

"You mean the one who set demon traps all over the city and then broke into our subcells?"

Meliorn silenced as another Seelie entered the room. He whispered into his ear, leaving the shadowhunters to wonder.

He sharply inhaled, "It seems my Queen's ransom has finally been demanded. The time of the exchange approaches."

He moved to the door but stopped as Alec called his name. The Lightwood stood tall, "Johnathon cannot be allowed to get his hands on that sword. If he does, the number of demons he could release from Edom-"

"That blade and those that wield it are of no further concern to us," he interrupted.

"It will be your concern when demons overrun your realm and kill your people," Rory reasoned, "Just hold them until we can get there with Glorious."

"Seelie can't lie," he reminded, "To double cross would go against our nature."

Jace stepped closer and lowered his voice to a whisper, "Please, Meliorn. I'd be indebted to you forever."

At the proposition, the Seelie smirked and sighed in satisfaction, "We can, however, be quite forgetful...leaving entrances to the realms unlocked. Do with that what you will."

He left the room, Jace quickly following him. That left an awkward tension between the two broken hearted shadowhunters. They were spared when Maryse walked into the room. Rory excused herself and followed after the Seelie.

"Meliorn!"

The Seelie turned around just as he was about to exit the building. Rory caught up and stood before him.

"I'm sorry about what I did to your people," she apologized, "When Lilith took over me...she made hurt them, including your Queen."

"I am aware, Aurora Morrison," he replied, "We forgive...because we know that a demon seized you. And we applaud you, for your ability to overcome her. Your strength is admired."

She smiled lightly and nodded in respect. He signaled for his soldiers to leave and they left her standing in the hallway. She wasn't left alone for long when Maryse approached her.

"May we speak?"

Rory nodded and allowed her to be pulled into a secluded hallway.

"I spoke to Alec and Isabelle. And your brother," she stated, "I don't understand why this is happening! You two were great together!"