Bonds That Break

Alec and Rory both knew of each other's involvement in the ambush, but neither said anything. She knew that he would protect his sister at all costs. And he knew that she was far too noble to let Meliorn go quietly.

Their unspoken alliances broke out when Rory's mom marched up to Isabelle,

"Isabelle Lightwood, by order of the Clave, you are under arrest for high treason."

The pair stepped forward, "On what grounds?"

"Only a handful of people knew about the Meliorn operation," Alice stated.

"And everyone knows she's sleeping with him," Raj insulted.

"Watch your mouth," Rory snapped.

Izzy scoffed, "You know what, Alice? You're no better than Valentine. But at least he had the guts to tell downworlders to their faces he wanted them all dead. You hide behind the law."

"I don't hide behind it, Miss Lightwood. I follow it. I suggest you learn to follow it as well."

Rory stepped forward and lowered her voice, "If she's convicted, she'll be stripped of her runes and banished. Izzy doesn't deserve that."

"We have no other choice, Aurora."

Rory sighed and watched as Izzy handed over her stele. She had to do something, given that it was her who got Izzy into this mess.

"If you press charges against Izzy, you press charges against me."

Alice quirked her brow, "Why's that?"

Rory straightened up and exhaled,

"Because I was the one who told Izzy everything about the transfer."

-

Much to Alec's frustration, Izzy wouldn't allow him to help. His sister was locked in her room until further notice. He figured he'd visit Rory since Izzy clearly didn't want to be near him.

She was in the training room roughly punching a bag. He noticed her defined muscles and his eyes landed on her faded parabatai rune again.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

She nodded grimly and kept punching, the hits getting stronger.

"I appreciate what you did for Izzy."

She sighed, "Well it's my fault anyway. I should've warned her about being careful."

He crossed his arms and stepped closer, "Izzy knew what she was doing."

"So did you," she pointed out, "We both knew that neither of us were just gonna let her get hurt."

He chuckled and walked behind the bag to hold it for her. She thanked him and continued to train harder.

"All of this makes me think you'd want to call off the engagement."

"What?" he questioned, "No."

"Why wouldn't you? My mother is a pain in the ass," she punched the bag, "And I'm not exactly on good terms with Izzy or Jace."

"We'll figure it out. I think after today, Izzy will be grateful towards you. And Jace...is Jace. He'll get over it eventually."

"And you?"

He shrugged, "I like you. I think we make a good pair."

She smiled and he sobered up, "Can we talk off the record?"

She nodded and stopped her training to listen.

"We both know that Izzy, Jace, Clary, and the other downworlders were there the night of the transfer. I don't want to expose anyone but I can't let my sister be exiled for this."