Love Destroys Us All

"Jace is the Owl?"

Izzy was outraged, "How is that even possible?"

"This whole time it wasn't his mental health," Alec realized, "He was possessed."

"By an extremely dangerous greater demon that was able to turn mundanes into demonic killers," Magnus added.

"We've defeated greater demons before," Rory shrugged, "We'll do it again and free Jace."

"This is not just any greater demon," Magnus said sadly, "Clary was able to draw an image of the beast, and it matches this image from the Silent City archives."

They looked down at the sketch of the demon, its face noticeably different than normal demons.

"The demon is Lilith...queen of Edom."

Rory's mouth dropped, "As in Adam's first wife?"

"And Adam as in Garden of Eden Adam?" Izzy questioned.

"The one and only."

"So what does that mean?" Simon asked.

Magnus sighed regretfully, "She's the mother of all demons."

"Which makes her more powerful than anything we've ever encountered," Alec sighed, "But of all people, why take Jace?"

They let the silence linger between them. Clary's trembling breath became louder and tears gathered in her eyes. She couldn't bring herself to look at the Lightwood boy as she admitted her best kept secret, "Alec, what you felt that night when your parabatai rune disappeared...you were right."

Alec leaned forward in anticipation while Clary continued, "Jace did die...Valentine killed him."

"I knew it."

"But if he died, how did he come back?" Simon asked.

A tear ran down her cheek, "Because I made a wish to Raziel."

Everyone's posture straightened. The tension rose while confusion amongst them traveled from person to person.

"You made the wish?" Izzy clarified.

"I had to!" she cried, "I had to! It was the only way to bring him back, but it...made him vulnerable to Lilith. To this beast that was powerful enough to murder Ithuriel."

The others looked at her sympathetically as Clary choked on her own words, "Because of me! Because I summoned him! Because I was trying to help Jace..."

Simon rubbed her back as her sobs came forth. She hesitantly looked up at the boy in front of her, "Alec...I am so sorry. I should not have kept this from you. I know what position this puts you in with the Clave. So if you want to send me to the Gard...I understand."

"Clary-"

Simon's protest was cut off by a strong glare from Alec. They watched as Alec's faced remained cold and emotionless. Magnus and Izzy turned their heads away, preparing for the worst.

The tension rose as Alec straightened up and slowly walked to Clary's side of the table. Rory wanted to stop him but she couldn't bring herself to move.

Once they faced each other, Alec sharply exhaled and pulled Clary into his arms. She froze, not expecting the hug. He felt her body shake as he sighed, "I would've done the same thing."

Everyone relaxed at his words. Izzy sighed and slouched over, squeezing Rory's hand for comfort.

Alec abruptly pulled away and walked out. Rory excused herself and followed him. He was already gone when she reached the hallway. She decided to check their room first. When she got there, he was sitting on the bed. His elbows rested in his knees; his back hunched over.