The Next Step

Flashes of memories struck out in her head like lightening. They appeared closer and faster by the second.

Rory squirmed and mumbled in her sleep. Alec felt her side of the bed move and he opened an eye. She was facing the other direction, her back to him. Every muscle in her body was clenching and she jumped often. He could hear her beg for something or someone to stop. Then she called out for her brother Jack.

He rolled to her side and placed a hand on her arm, "Rory, wake up."

She jumped again and remained asleep. Then she started to call out his name. He shook her more violently, "Rory!"

Her eyes snapped open and she inhaled sharply. She immediately sat up straight, keeping her back turned to him. Her chest rose and fell rapidly, matching her heart rate.

She wildly looked around at her surroundings, seeing the flashes faintly appear. Alec sat up and rubbed her back in comfort.

She sighed and pushed her hair out of her face. She took a few deep breaths.

"Nightmares?" he questioned softly.

She nodded and slouched over, her tired feeling returning. He gently pulled her back down on the bed. He laid down with her and covered them both up with the blanket.

"Do you want to talk about it or sleep?"

"Sleep," she answered, moving closer to his body heat.

His arm was stuck under her head as a pillow. They curled closer together, their drowsiness overwhelming their awkward panic mode. They fell back asleep, safe and secure in each other's arms.

-

Clary wanted to talk to Alec about Jace, so Rory walked ahead and met Izzy. She noticed that the girl's hand was shaking violently.

"Are you okay?" Rory asked, laying a hand on her shoulder.

Izzy jumped but then relaxed at her touch. She weakly nodded and turned back to the screen. Rory didn't buy it but had no time to ask follow up questions since Alec and Clary joined them.

"What did we miss?" he asked.

"Let's see: the Citadel was breached, Magdalena is dead, and Cleophas is missing."

"Valentine?" Clary questioned.

"Who else could it be?" Izzy snapped, "Aldertree is heading to Idris to meet with the counsel. He wants Rory with him."

She raised her eyebrows, "Really?"

Izzy nodded, "You're probably liked more."

Rory smiled as they dismissed themselves. Alec held her back, "Are you sure you're okay to go? Last night was-"

"Was something I can handle," she assured, "We have bigger problems than nightmares."

She kissed his cheek and walked off to meet Aldertree. She met him by a portal and glared lightly, "Let's get this over with."

He scoffed and they stepped through, landing in the Idris capitol.

"I chose you because of your influence. Don't forget I'm still your commanding officer."

She faked a smile, "Don't forget that I still don't care."

-

Once they were gone, Alec went to work. After doing his job for awhile, he spotted his sister working by herself. He thought it was the perfect opportunity to speak to her about something.