Their Encounter

Alex grunted out of annoyance when her alarm clock rang, waking her up from a deep slumber. She fetched it from the mini table beside her bed and threw it somewhere, causing a loud screech. Hindi na lang niya ito pinansin at nagpatuloy sa pagtulog. Pero bago pa siya makatulog ulit, tumunog na ang cellphone niya kaya inis siyang napabagon.

Inabot niya ang phone niya mula sa study table ng kwarto niya at tinignan kung sino ang caller. When she saw her father's name, she immediately gulped. It took her few minutes from answering the call because she gained some courage first.

"H-Hell–"

"What did you do again, Alexa?" Her father's voice sound calm but she knew that he's only suppressing his anger. She rolled her eyes when she heard her first name, her girly princess-like name.

She heaved a sigh. "W-Wala naman."

"Wala naman? Really? Then why your principal called me again for the nth time this week?!"

Alex tightly closed her eyes when her father yelled over the phone. She bit her lower lip while thinking of a possible escape.

"Maybe the principal missed you?"

"Alexa!"

"Fine! Okay. I'm sorry. Hindi ko sinasadya, Dad, okay?" she said and bit her lower lip. She doesn't actually meant it. She just said that because she knows that her father won't stop nagging at her until she apologized.

"Apologize to those girls, you understand–"

"W-What? Hindi kita marinig, Dad," she pretended while also making blurry sounds with her voice. "Choppy ka, Dad. Mamaya na lang. Bye!" Before her father could even say anything, she immediately ended the call. She turned off her phone and just threw it on her bed.

Humiga ulit siya sa kama at wala sa sariling napatingin sa wall clock ng kwarto niya. When she saw that it's already eight o'clock in the morning, she immediately get up. She almost cursed, thinking that her father would scold her again because she's now thirty minutes late from school.

Naiinis siyang bumangon at pumasok sa banyo. She doesn't really care kung ma-late siya. Pero siguradong lagot na naman siya sa parents niya at siguradong bibigyan na naman siya ng punishment ng principal. Tsk. Bakit ba kasi hindi pwedeng pumasok na lang ang estudyante kung kailan nila gusto? Ang daming arte. Mga estudyante din naman ang source ng pera ng school nila.

She wore their school uniform and only grabbed a sandwich as her breakfast. She wore her bag and went out of her apartment. Lumabas siya ng building at nagsimulang maglakad. It will only take her a few minutes to get in Forsten.

Nang akmang papasok na siya sa gate, hinarang siya bigla ng guard na kinairap na lang niya. She just glared and cursed at the guard before signing a log book, indicating what time she entered the gate and shows that she's late. After that, the guard opened the gate and she sarcastically smile at him.

The guard only shook his head while looking at Alex who is calmly walking with the fact that her classes already started. Sanay na kasi itong palaging hinaharang si Alex sa tuwing late ito. Pati ang mga mura nito at sama ng tingin ay nakasanayan na niya. Tinignan niya ang log book at napailing-iling na lang ulit ng makitang halos puro pangalan ni Alex ang nandoon.

"Pasaway talaga."

Alex rolled her eyes, hearing what the guard said. Hindi na lang niya ito pinatulan at naglakad papunta sa classroom nila. Hindi na siya nag-abala pang magmadali dahil late na din naman siya.

When she entered their classroom, all eyes automatically looked at her direction. She just whistled, ignoring all the stares.

"And why are you late, Ms. Florendo?" Ma'am Zandro, their homeroom adviser asked. Alex looked at her as her classmates fell silent, getting used by the scene of Alex being late and their adviser asking the same question over and over again.