Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Cafe

I' m going to apologize now, guys, this chapter is more of a filler chapter...enjoy it all the same! I'm writing the next one now, so hopefully, it'll be out soon. 

....

Taehyung wants to hold Jungkook's hand. This isn't anything new or a shocking revelation, but he really wants to hold Jungkook's hand. Taehyung parks the car in the lot at one end of the town, getting out of the rental car with this overwhelming thought in his mind. He really shouldn't be thinking so much about Jungkook, yet he glances over at the dark-haired boy, and he can't help himself. He slowly reaches over and taps the top of Jungkook's hand, sidling up next to the taller boy. Jungkook looks down at Taehyung, surprised when the blond intertwines their hands, a faint blush on his cheeks as he meets Jungkook's gaze.

The two walk silently down the cobblestone streets, people every now and then glancing at them with curiosity or indifference before moving on with their days. Jungkook spots no one staring at them in disgust or horror, which has him sighing in relief. He lightly squeezes Taehyung's hand, pulling the boy slightly closer to his side.

"I'm proud of you, bub," Jungkook quietly says, lifting their linked hands and giving a soft kiss to Taehyung's fingers. Taehyung's heart races in his chest as he looks away from Jungkook's adoring gaze.

"I don't know why..." Taehyung softly mumbles, his eyes back on the cobblestone beneath his feet, noting the cracks and spots where moss and dandelions break their way between some of the stones, "I just...I wanted to hold your hand..."

Taehyung doesn't realize how much that one little sentence impacts Jungkook. Last time the two of them walked along these cobblestones, Taehyung was trying to pretend to be something he's not. He was trying to not show their relationship when now he can easily walk beside Jungkook without caring about what other people are thinking of them. Instead, his focus is on Jungkook; on the calloused hand that is pressed against his, the way Jungkook's arm brushes against his, and the way Jungkook's lips curl into the sweetest smile he has ever seen.

"You're adorable..." Jungkook says, leaning closer to plant a kiss on the top of Taehyung's fluffy blond hair. Jungkook notices a woman looking at them in shock before she softly smiles when Taehyung blushes and his lips break into the biggest grin imaginable. Taehyung's happiness is contagious and Jungkook feels his smile widening as they wander towards a quaint cafe at the end of the street. A few wooden tables sit outside of large sparkling windows set amongst the cafe's brick and ivy-covered walls. Patrons of the cafe sit with large cups of tea or coffee and plates of food in front of them, the savory scents filling the air as Taehyung and Jungkook approach the small building. Conversations falter for a moment as the boys approach, yet Taehyung doesn't even notice, his mind already on the food he wants to eat and which tea he is going to order. Jungkook does notice, however, and he protectively wraps his arm around Taehyung's waist while opening the door, not wanting these small-minded people to hurt his boyfriend.

"Taehyung!" a jovial woman shouts from inside the kitchen of the small cafe. Taehyung smiles brightly when the older woman scurries over to him, wiping her hands on a clean rag before she tosses it on the counter and pulls Taehyung into a hug. Jungkook watches curiously, his hand on Taehyung's waist moving to the small of the boy's back when the blond boy sinks into the woman's embrace. Her long brown hair is pulled up severely in a bun, yet her maroon lips are curled up in a bright gentle smile. She wears black pants and a grey sweater, yet that is covered by a frilly apron that has been stained with coffee, batter, eggs, and other conspicuous stains that Jungkook cannot guess at. When she pulls away, Taehyung flashes her a bright boxy grin and slips his hand in Jungkook's again like it is a habit.

"Hi, Debbie. How have you been?" Taehyung politely asks before she leads him and Jungkook to a booth in the corner of the cafe.

"It's been great! Just running the business like always. But you! How are you?!" Debbie excitedly asks as she sets two paper menus down on the table while Jungkook sits on one bench and Taehyung sits across from him.