Chapter Thirty-Three: Happiness

After a few more speeches, the night finally has turned to the promised drinking and dancing. Many people gather around the dance floor, their bodies pressed together as a DJ plays song after song, flooding the ballroom with sweet jazz or hip hop beats. Amongst the masses is Jungkook and Taehyung; the raven-haired has his hand on Taehyung's waist and the other entwined with one of Taehyung's hands, holding him close as they sway together, following the music as it slips from one romantic song to another. Jungkook can't keep his eyes off of Taehyung, loving the way the lights shimmer off his blond hair, sparkling in the boy's hazel eyes, and illuminating his chiseled features. A soft blush coats Taehyung's cheeks as he notices Jungkook's fond gaze; notices the way his eyes burn deeper into his soul as he warmly smiles at the boy.

"What are you thinking about?" Taehyung quietly asks, his heart jumping in his chest as Jungkook holds him close, his hands providing him comfort as one draws little circles on his waist over the silky fabric of his shirt. Jungkook leans forward and plants a soft kiss on Taehyung's cheek, basking in the warmth of his lover.

"I'm thinking I'm so proud of you, bub," Jungkook whispers in Taehyung's ear, the deep words unleashing a flurry of butterflies in Taehyung's stomach and he trembles softly. He doesn't say anything in response, he just rests his head on Jungkook's shoulder, surrendering to the urge to be as close to him as possible. Jungkook wraps both arms around Taehyung, still swaying back and forth as if dancing, though it is more a comforting embrace than anything else. Neither boy mind, both of them absorbed in their own thoughts and blissful emotions spawned by the other. Taehyung would spend all night cocooned comfortably in Jungkook's arms if he could.

But alas, luck isn't on their side, and a tap to Taehyung's shoulder interrupts their tender moment. Taehyung turns in Jungkook's arms, noting the raven-haired boy's look of concern as they both see Talia standing beside them, her sharp features stoic and cold.

"I need to talk with you," she states, and Taehyung nods, leaning slightly in Jungkook's embrace as the boy holds him close.

"Okay...what is it?"

"Alone. Please," she snaps, her voice cracking slightly as she says please. Taehyung can tell this is important, her body is far too tense for it to be a frivolous issue. Slowly, Taehyung steps forward, out of Jungkook's grasp, and nods again.

"Of course," he says, turning to look at Jungkook with a reassuring smile, "I'll be right back,"

Jungkook flashes Taehyung a grin, "I'll be here," he chimes, silently encouraging Taehyung with a light flick of his fingertip under Taehyung's chin. The blond smiles brighter, blushing before he follows Talia out of the ballroom and towards the patio that leads to a well-lit garden outside. Rain pours over the lush rose bushes and labyrinth paths, leaving everything in a wet and dreary state despite the light's attempt of illumination. The two siblings stand silently on the marble patio; Talia leaning against the stone railing looking out at the gardens while Taehyung stands beside her, eyes quietly analyzing her behavior. It confuses him and admittedly unnerves him.

"Why did you say that?" Talia finally asks, her voice quiet and restrained in the cold night air. Taehyung cocks his head, glancing at her curiously.

"What do you mean...?"

"Why did you say those nice things?" she asks again, her eyes still boring into the glowing gardens and not even sparing him a glance.

"Because I meant it. I wish you happiness, Talia," Taehyung says, his words finally drawing her attention and she glares at him.

"But why?! I was horrible to you!" she shrieks, her emotions unleashing almost instantly before she can calm herself down. Yet Taehyung doesn't flinch or fret. He just softly smiles at her.