Chapter Three- I Go To My First Class

A few more days had passed by when it came time for me to go to my first class of the term, and I was awoken to the sun's rays beaming in through my window. 

I was met with that same pit of dread in my stomach, but I was going to have to suck it up. 

After I had gotten ready, I reminded myself of something: at least I had Winona. 

This was certainly a good thing, because I wasn't catastrophically doomed to face my lessons alone like a baby cub in the wilderness. 

I would be able to do this. I just had to remember the smiles of impressiveness that my family members had on their faces the day I had told them that I had gotten in to Cambridge. 

Their being proud of me could keep me going, even through a metaphorical thunderstorm of having to find my new classes and meet new people. 

I headed out into the hall, pulling my backpack over my shoulder, as I was greeted by Winona. 

"You ready to go?" she asked me, with a kind smile upon her face. 

"Yeah. Let's do this," I agreed. 

With that, the two of us made for the exit of our halls, and began to walk to the room of our first lesson. 

Once we got to the lecture theatre, Winona came to sit beside me, and we were soon joined by a girl with short yellow hair, and vivid hazel eyes. 

She smiled when she sat beside me. 

"Hey, is it okay for me to sit here?" she asked. 

"Of course," I said. 

"Oh hey X!" Winona said to her. 

"Hey Winona," X replied. 

"Their name isn't actually X," Winona began to say to me, "They're called Xena, but they prepare X as more of a gender-neutral term," Winona stated. 

"Right, and I prefer 'they' pronouns to be used for me, if at all possible. I just like to keep it gender neutral," they explained. 

I nodded my head, in an understanding way. 

"Of course! Great to meet you, X," I said to them. 

"And you're Selina, right? I think Winona mentioned you when we were eating dinner last night," they stated then. 

I nodded in response. 

The lecturer began his welcoming session with us, and began to go over general matters of the university including clubs, lessons, subject leads and other matters to be aware of. 

He was only part way through his lecture, before someone stepped into the hall, causing all eyes to turn to her. 

"Sorry, sorry," she said quickly, as she came to take a free seat on the other side of X. 

The late girl's eyes met mine for a moment, but she just raised an eyebrow at me as she gave me a kind of look that asked 'What are you looking at?'. 

Feeling a little self-conscious, I returned my gaze to the front of the lecture theatre, and continued to listen intently to what our lecturer was talking about. 

The girl moved a hand through her platinum blonde hair and sighed, as her eyebrows furrowed and she began to make notes. 

I knew that I probably shouldn't have still been staring at her, but in all honesty, she was probably one of the most beautiful girls I had ever seen. 

I had always been weary of beautiful girls, though, for I had known them to often not have a heart as pretty as their face. 

I returned my attention to my own work book, to find that I hadn't yet made many notes.