Chapter Thirty-One- I Celebrate Valentine's Day

I had been busily preparing for Valentine's day for a while, now, because in truth, I hadn't had a Valentine before.

I was never interested in dating guys, and given that I hadn't come out yet, I tended to just spend it alone watching comedies on Netflix.

It really was a relief that Lily had come along to save me.

Okay, not to be dramatic or anything but she really did mean the whole world to me.

I supposed that I caught feelings quickly, but I also knew that I had been pleasantly surprised by just how caring and interesting Lily really was. It was hard not to feel strongly for her.

I had to admit I was excited, but it was important to me to get it right, too, simply based on the fact of how much Lily meant to be.

When I had gone shopping for her gifts, I had bought a box of chocolates and a card. I had asked Violet if I was perhaps going overboard, but she assured me it was fine.

Violet had actually said that it was rather cute.

As I sat in my room, I began to sign the card.

To a beautiful Lily,

I am so happy that we met. You are beautiful, kindhearted and lovely, and I really really care for you so incredibly much. You mean the absolute world to me. Happy Valentine's day for now, and I hope that we can spend many more together, in the future.

Yours truly,
Selina

I had deliberated over whether to end the letter a few different ways, including yours truly, love, and from.

I didn't know whether to use 'love' at first, but the others seemed too cold, too distant, so I crossed them both out and wrote 'love' in their place.

Could I say that what I felt for Lily was love?

I did feel as though I was falling hard for her, but I didn't want to rush into anything. All I knew was that I most certainly had the capacity to love her.

I mean, this was Lily I was talking about, and she was a beautiful soul both inside and out, if you took the time to get to know her. 

She had ended up being a lot less intimidating than I had initially thought that she was.

I got ready for the day in a pastel pink sweater, dark jeans and trainers, and tied my dark hair into a ponytail.

Once I was all ready, including the gifts that I had prepared to give to Lily, I headed out into the hall to find Yasmin there. The two of us made our way towards the centre of the university grounds. That was where we would soon be meeting the others for the Valentine's festival, which Lily had helped organise.

"Are you excited?" Yasmin asked me with a soft smile.

"I am," I said.

"Me too!" X said, as they joined us.

"Hey Xena," I greeted them.

They smiled back at me.

"Hey you two," they replied.

Yasmin waved to them, too, and we soon decided to walk over to one of the stalls so that we could purchase lavender candy floss, heart shaped sweets and Turkish delight filled chocolates. Delicious. The special celebratory foods all looked so tempting.

I just had to make sure I didn't eat too many. I didn't want to end up making myself feel ill before I got the chance to give my gift and Valentine's day card to Lily. And no, although we weren't girlfriends just yet, a lot of the time it felt as though we were.