Chapter Eighteen- I May Have Accidentally Started Drama

I knew that ultimately I wouldn't be able to simply go on break for Christmas, before completing the first literature assignment. 

It was fine, of course, just a four-thousand essay on the poems of Carol Ann Duffy. I was tasked with having to critique them, and highlight how the uses of literary devices had made the texts more meaningful. It was a standard literature assignment, but I had been so distracted lately by other things that my productivity was somewhat lower than usual.

Every time I looked at the red leaves lying on the campus grounds, my mind flickered to Lily, for a moment. 

She hadn't spoken to me in several days, and although I was trying not to be too worried about it, I couldn't deny that my stomach did turn in slight nervousness. 

I was just trying to make sure that I didn't worry myself too much about it. 

In my first day of writing the assignment, I managed to get about five-hundred words completed, which was fairly good, all things considered, and factoring in the matter of me being entirely too distracted lately. 

Could you blame me, though? 

Thoughts of Lily kissing me were still flooding around my mind. 

I was fortunately able to take my mind off that for a minute or two, though, because it was my father's birthday, and my family were going to be visiting the campus soon. 

Surely enough, I soon heard my phone began to buzz away, and just after throwing my hair up into a messy ponytail, I wandered out of my room and down the hall, opening the main entrance door to see them all there. 

My mother, dad, and Violet, who quickly gathered me into a hug. 

"Hey!" she said, with excitement evident in her voice, as she drew away for a moment, "How have you been doing? Have you been eating properly?" she asked me, then. 

Steven released a chuckle, and I quickly turned to him then, to gather him into a hug. 

"Dad! Happy birthday!" I told him. 

"Thank you, Selina," he replied, with an appreciative grin upon his face, as his cheeks reddened slightly. I knew that my dad tended to dread his birthdays, particularly as he approached sixty, but I always reminded him that birthdays had perks! 

For example, carrot cake, one of the best perks, obviously. 

Although, my sister would disagree with me there. She didn't believe that vegetables should go into cakes, at all. 

"Hi honey," Jacqueline said, then, and I moved forward to hug her, too. 

"Hey mum!" I said, with a sweet smile. 

My mother looked wonderful. 

I mean, she always did, but she looked particularly amazing today. 

It was good to observe that her mental health seemed to be a little better. 

It was nice to see all of them again. It made my heart feel a little lighter. 

I had to admit that after my kiss with Lily, gravity almost felt heavier. 

My mind felt packed to the brim with questions and considerations, and I wasn't even sure where to start. 

However, at the same time, I felt the world become oddly brighter, too. 

This was only in a hypothetical sense, of course, for outside the silver and grey clouds were darkening the winter sky. 

I was too distracted to return back to my seasonal depression, though. My mind was so occupied that I really didn't feel all that sad recently.