Chapter Twenty-Eight- I Watch a University Performance

Towards the end of January, it came time for the theatre society and students to put on the show of the term- The Tempest. I was definitely going to watch it, and looked forward to it, too. 

I knew that Lily had been busily preparing for her role as Miranda. 

The two of us had been going over lines and stage directions, pretty frantically, in the lead up to the opening night. 

Furthermore, X and Winona both had helped Lily out with creating her costume, too, which I was excited to see. 

I knew that she was going to be amazing, and I was always proud of her, too. 

When she came to speak with me, before the performance started, nearby the main stage, I could tell that although she was excited, she was nervous, too. 

The stage really had been decorated beautifully, and I knew that Xena had put a lot of work into the painting and drawing of the main set. The trees that they had created, too, looked incredible, and must have taken them a lot of time to make. 

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked Lily, as she rested her head on my shoulder, for a moment. 

"I'm okay. It's going to be fine," she stated optimistically, "Just so long as I don't fall flat on my face." 

"Hey, that's not going to happen," I told her. 

I knew that Lily was trying to think positively about the upcoming performance, but I was sensitive enough to her emotions to be aware of the fact that she was particularly nervous, too. 

Lily moved forward then, to lock eyes with me. 

"You're going to be amazing, Lily. I know it," I told her. 

She smiled towards me then, in her gratitude, as she gently brushed my cheek with the back of her hand. 

"Thank you," she said. 

"Now, you need to help me out, too. I don't know where I should sit," I stated. 

Lily smirked in my amusement. I didn't think she had realised just how indecisive I could be, at times. 

As the wind passed by, my white top clung gently to my slim frame, and I wrapped my hoodie a little closer around me. 

"Sit anywhere, Selina," she told me. 

I just nodded. 

However, 'anywhere' wasn't remotely specific, and when I looked out into the sea of faces, I couldn't help but feel a little nauseous, and I wasn't even the one performing. 

"You know something? You have really nice eyes," she complimented me, then. 

I smiled. 

She always knew the best way to distract me from my nerves was to pay me a compliment. 

Then, I would simply start to blush again. 

It was a good thing that Lily considered me beautiful no matter what, and she had told me as much often enough. 

As much as I had never truly admired my own hooded eyes, it made me feel a little brighter to know that Lily did. 

She was very skilled when it came to increasing my own self confidence. 

"You know, I used to want to be an actress," she said, then, "But eventually I changed my mind. I decided that writing was more up my alley, but in saying that, I still love to perform." 

I respected the fact that she was confident enough to do so, I knew that it couldn't be easy. 

"I'm going to shine tonight," she said confidently.