Chapter Twenty-Six- I Will Always be There for You

Around the university, I knew that generosity was valued highly, so whenever possible I made sure to help out members of the university community. Whether this was students, teachers or my close friends, I always ensured that I could be there for them when possible. Above anyone else, though, my mind always drifted back to Lily. I wanted to do anything for her, and I think that was how I knew just how strong my feelings were becoming. 

She had been there for me, a few evenings prior, and I was so incredibly thankful for her. 

It felt like the world was becoming a little brighter, and not just metaphorically, but physically, too. We were getting a lot more sunshine in Cambridge, which I had been thankful for. 

As much as I tried to help others, they had been there to help me, too. Mr Jones had given me an extension on the next assignment, which I was very grateful for, because I knew that even if I had been expected to do it, it probably wouldn't have happened. This was due to how distracted I had been by everything that was going on. In saying that, though, my mother was reported to have been markedly better by the doctors, so I was hoping that they were correct on this one.  

I wandered outside into the golden sunshine of the day, and let the warmth wash over me for a moment. 

I really had missed the sun. It had been hidden behind dark January clouds for far too long, now. 

As I wandered around the university grounds, a black cat soon wandered in front of me. I wasn't sure whether that was a good or bad sign. Regardless, it made me think back to my cat that was at home currently. 

I missed her. 

Was that strange to admit? 

As much as I loved my friends at university, after the events had passed with my mum, I had wanted to be home more than anything. 

Well, okay, there was one thing that I wanted more than anything else, and that was Lily Everett. 

I wandered through the university grounds for a moment, taking some time to let my eyes gaze over the slightly yellowish grass, and leafless trees that little robins and sparrows were flying into the branches of. 

I noticed just how diverse and different the people were here. I had to admire just how individual everyone could be in their senses of style. 

I supposed that I had never really found myself a style, but I wanted to. 

Lily would more than likely go clothes shopping with me. All I had to do was ask her to. 

She had a lot more money than me, but she never really focused on that. Lily didn't care for matters like that. She had told me once that as long as a person had a good soul, she would like them. 

I had chosen to take that as a compliment. 

After my mother's hospitalization, I felt as though I wanted to be there for people more than ever before, and help them out in any way that I could. 

In some ways, this meant studying with them or making sure that they ate breakfast, which my friends were notoriously bad at. Then again, so was I. 

I had been too preoccupied lately by several matters. 

One of those was Lily Everett, who was currently walking towards me. 

"Hey," she said, with a smile, though I could detect the sadness in her stare. 

"Hey, Lily," I replied. 

"I need you to come somewhere with me today. I mean, I was going to go it alone, but that didn't feel right," she told me.