Chapter Twenty-Seven- I Settle A Conflict

My spirits were raised even further than they had been, just by being in the presence of Lily, when my sister, Violet, called me to inform me that my mother had gotten out of the hospital. 

I knew that I was going to try and see her, as soon as I possibly could. I really had missed her. 

My bond with Lily was becoming so much stronger, to the point that we were pretty much inseparable. There wasn't a conversation that was out of bounds for us, and although we were still taking things slowly (despite the events of a few evenings back), our connection was utterly undeniable. 

I was sensitive to Lily's needs, and knew that I would be there to support her whenever she needed me. In the same vein, Lily was always there for me too. 

Although we were strong forces on our own, when we were together it just enhanced that matter. It could be argued that was why our bond was so great. 

After getting ready for the day, into a dark glittery sweater, there was a quick knocking  at my dorm room door, and I went to open it to find Lily stood there, well, at least for a moment, until she grabbed me into a hug, lifting me slightly off the ground. 

"Hey sunshine," she greeted me, with a warm smile, as she placed me back down. 

She ran her hands through my hair, and I naturally returned her affectionate expression. 

"Hey Lily," I greeted her. 

"How are you? Is your mum okay? That's not a total social faux pas to bring up, is it?" she inquired. 

I released a breathy laugh, giving a slight shake of my head. 

"Okay, good," she stated, "I was wondering if you wanted to come and hang out with me and...well, everybody else on the grounds outside? It's quite a nice day," she said. 

I allowed my eyes to move to my window for a moment, to note that she was correct. The cerulean atmosphere was clear, and although I had an inkling that it was in all likelihood going to be chilly outside, it was still an appealing day. 

"Yeah, let's make our way over there," I said. 

She grinned, taking my hand in hers, as the two of us wandered out of my dorm and outside into the fresh breeze of another winter's day. 

Once we got to the group, who were all sitting on a picnic bench not far from the main entrance, I think Lily could sense that my anxiety was acting up a little. 

She simply leant in to whisper in my ear, "Hey, you look really stunning today, sunshine," she told me. 

I felt a warmth in my chest, as I turned to smile at her. I felt a blush creeping up my ears, too, but I chose to not acknowledge it. 

"Hey everyone!" Lily said, and everyone greeted the both of us. 

Everyone seemed perfectly content, too, apart from Ulric, who stood up from where he had been sitting. 

"I need to talk to you," he stated. 

Lily's eyebrows crinkled together a little then. 

"Sure," she stated. 

The two of them wandered over to a nearby tree, then, and I walked a little closer, so that Lily could take my hand in hers. 

"Alone?" Ulric asked. 

"Whatever you need to say, Ulric, you can say to both of us," Lily told him, then. 

"Okay, fine. What's going on with you, Lily? You barely ever talk to me anymore. Are you really going to abandon our friendship? Like, I understand that you're happy with Selina, but..."