seventy-four ⭐️ i only have eyes for you

unedited

i cried

⭐️⭐️⭐️

JUDI: That's too tight!

JANETTE [her older sister]: I'm sorry! It's just that your dress is so heavy I can't lace it up without it falling!

JUDI: Why haven't you gotten any help?!

JANETTE: Awsten is the only other person who can do this, and he's talking to Patty about God knows what!

JUDI: Ugh. Sydney?

SYDNEY: [stops doing her makeup] Yes?

JUDI: Come help my sister.

Sydney joins Judi and Janette.

JANETTE: Just hold this part up, and I'll do the rest.

SYDNEY: Okay. [To Judi] Are you excited to get married?

Judi pauses for a moment, then smiles.

JUDI: Yes. I'm so incredibly nervous and excited to just... be Misses Walters. I've been waiting for this day for ages, and suddenly it's already here. All those years, all that pain and frustration led me to this moment right here. [smiles gently] When I first heard of Patty, I hated him so much.

JANETTE: [chuckles] I remember that.

JUDI: That quickly changed when I finally met him, though. I remember hugging him out of respect, y'know, but something just, like, hit me.

JANETTE: I think that was your crush on him.

JUDI: I didn't have a crush on him until months later!

JANETTE: [to Sydney] That's a lie. She called me basically every night since she left Indiana, and she was always going on about how cute Patty was, or how sweet and kind he was.

JUDI: [playfully] Whatever.

Sydney and Janette finish up Judi's dress, and go off to do their own thing. Judi sits down on the fainting couch nearby, beginning to silently reflect on all the sweet memories with her very-soon-to-be-husband.

***

***

JAWN and PATTY come towards the three, smiling at the very enthusiastic {now} woman. Though as Jawn continues his facial praise, PATTY'S falters. He remembers how JUDI believes he and AWSTEN are a little too close. It's a mutual annoyance.

But then again, they will have to be around each other plenty soon and it's best to set things aside. JUDI is quite indubitably ready to start anew.

After she hugs Jawn, she gladly takes PATTY in her arms. It's hesitant, but it's still a hug nonetheless.

***