Chapter 41

Wavering tentatively to the door of her son's room, Sheetal faltered just on the doorstep with her eyes raking silently at her son's visible abased appearance, who was towering the canvas and pouring his heart content on them through an illustration again.

"Will it be very much to ask I want to be left alone?"

Throat occluding on his onerous tone and eyes stinging on his garbled stance, Sheetal quietly padded her way inside the room, in spite of his refusal and took a glimpse of the canvas, only to feel her heart sinking further in depth with utter mortification.

He was painting her again.

"Manik, I-" Sheetal spoke with her trembling voice "I am sorry-"

"-don't be." He rumbled, his back stiff and flexing now and then with the maneuverable trail of his hands "you did what you had to. And now, it's done."

Sheetal pressed her lips to stop her mouth to falter as she inaudibly chocked on her gasp "I didn't expected it to turn out that way, Manik."

"You didn't expect what?" He voiced out monotanously "to be rebuffed so straightforwardly?"

With a subdued gaze, Sheetal didn't knew how to express her motherly turmoil to him, as her lips wobbled "I was..I was desperate, Manik. I wanted to sort things out. And it's not easy to see our children gradually drifting apart in front of our eyes. I'm your mother. I don't want anything more than my children's happiness."

"Happiness?" Shoulder shagging in self-mockery, Manik gazed at the beauty dancing in the shadow on the canvas, fretting silently over the omitted memory of her former self, as he slowly exclaimed away "Don't you know happiness and I never go hand in hand?"

Eyes soaring with the gruesome word, Sheetal caressed the back of her son's shoulder warmly, as she wishper pleaded "Don't say like that, Manik. Don't."

An oppressive sigh streamed out his mouth, as the painting brush slipped out of his enfeeble grip before he pivoted around and dropped his head in the warmth of his mother, taking Sheetal startled by the suddenness.

But nothing concerned Sheetal more than seeing her son so defeated, as she cocooned his broad shuddering frame in her compassionate comfort, until she heard him wheezing weakly "It's over, isn't it, Maa?"

"No-" Shaking head quickly over his shoulder, Sheetal warmly caressed his back and wheedled softly "-it's not. There is still a long way, beta and we are going to overcome it very soon."

"Then why can't I see that path, Maa? All I'm seeing is a dark abyss, leading me to no where." He whispered muttered in a abated way "And no Nandini anymore."

"She is there, Manik. Look closely." Sheetal encouraged, pulling back and keeping her hand on his chest to tap on there "in here, and has been in there for a long time. It's just you took time to figure it out."

"Yes, I took time-" he seconded scorning on himself "- so much that I lost her myself."

Watching her son shattering all over again, broke Sheetal in a way that she had to bite hard on her lips to suppress her tears behind.
She have seen worse of her son's breakdown, but the one he is going through is severe.

"You know, Maa, I tried to avoid this situation for a long time. I was afraid of her refusal, her denial and her rejection, which I have given her so many times." His gaze was so dimly distant that Sheetal feared he would suffer withdrawal very soon, but he smiled soon, albeit in a rueful manner "And I did expect this coming, but now when it did, it hurts, Maa. It hurts very much"