Chapter 8 "Imperfect Life"

Tall, tanned and handsome guy — girls, not all, have that ideal standards when someone asked them what is the image that plays in their mind if they need to date a man of their dreams.

Apparently, Kim Mingyu got them all. Not only that, he is also a prominent student in the school which teachers are proud off. They call him prodigy and the trophy and medals achiever. And to make it him perfect even more, he's one of the kids who was born with diamond spoon in his mouth.

In the judgemental society which only judge the outer achievement of a person, his life may envious all of those who look high upon him. In every graduations, he usually spoke brightly the future, encouraging everyone that they achieve everything as long as they are willing to do their very best. However, if someone will put the mic in his heart, it shouts hatred, disappointments and heartbreaks.

The moment he let go of the woman he loves, his pathway became nothing but a pitch of darkness. There's no U-turn or even a short cut. It was as if he entered an empty space without any door to escape.

'But I deserve this. I deserved to feel this,' he told to himself while taking a walk in the empty hallway of their school.

He just finished having a conservation with the principal, who is so happy that he brought another trophy for their school. People around him expect this to him, so receiving special attention isn't new to him anymore.

Tired of forcing a smile on his face, Mingyu sighed.

He kept on walking in apathetic manners until he saw a familiar person walking towards him.

That person was his light, his guide and his breather. But now, he must push her away, for he choose to stay in the dark.

“Kim Mingyu,” Ghide called him with a smile. She excitedly walked closer to him, thinking that Mingyu will greet her back. However, far from her expectation, the man who used to recognize her even if he was blindfolded, simply tilted his head and pretended that he didn't see her at all. Then he walked passed by.

'What was that?' Ghide wondered.

“Hey,” she called for the second time and he stopped his pace. Tilting her head out of curiosity, she met his gaze. “Why are you ignoring me?"

Mingyu kept his pursed lips. He took a deep breath before he looked back at her.

"You broke up with me. I know that," Ghide uttered the painful truth. "But before we were tied up in that arranged marriage, you and I were good friends."

"..."

"The reason why we ended our relationship is because my situation changed. I got that it's only natural because from the beginning, it was all a business negotiation. However, you're avoiding me like I'm some kind of dirt. Can't you just say hi to me?"

It’s been months since Mingyu broke up with her. And since then, she had no contact with him even if they are both studying at the same school. She thought before that the reason of their break up, even if they really love each other, was only ecause of her family’s struggle. Thus even if their love story won't have an happy ending, she hoped that he and her can still remain as friends just like the old days.

He started as her rival. They were always together because he and Ghide are the top students of their school. They bickered at first, got closer, found out that their fathers decided to arrange a marriage between them and fell in love in the process. But in a snap, the princess's crown was taken away. It is as if Cinderella lost her glass slipper that is her only way to meet her prince and saved her from the her distress.

She's okay with that. She doesn't need the word 'happily ever after' at the last page of their story. However, is it selfish to hope that he could stay as her friend?

Breathing out for a second, Mingyu who was keeping quiet, opened his month and pierced  the silence. “The reason why I approached you even if you were so annoying, don't you get it?"

Basing on his attitude, she has a clue. But a part of her brain hopes that whatever going inside her head isn't the truth.

 "It is only because you are from a well-off family,” he dropped and shattered her heart.

Ghide closed her eyes and exhaled out the suffocating air that she was holding for while waiting for his answer. When she opened her eyes, Mingyu's voice rang into her ears again.

"You must be thinking that I dated you because I really love you. Don't be mistaken. Back then, I believed that if the two of us get married someday, it will help both of our businesses. But your family is not in a good state anymore. So I don’t see any reason why we should still contact each other.”

He isn't just handsome and smart. Mingyu is also a good actor.

How could he say all of these with a smile on his lips? As if he will never feel sorry for her.

Biting her lips firmly, Ghide tried so hard to prevent her tears from falling down. She has lost all of her reasoning power when she said in slow pace, “I didn’t know that I waste my time loving a stupid guy like you.”

As much as she tried to stop her tears, Mingyu on the other side is also trying his best not to show his pain. He is remaining looking composed while clenching his fists inside his pockets.

"That’s right,” she spoke with sad laugh. “From now on, you and I will be a complete stranger."

Amidst of playing the tough girl, Ghide failed the second she turned around. As she dragged her feet away from him, her tears fell down.

"Yes, we should,” Mingyu whispered to himself, still watching her back. When he cannot see her silhouette anymore, he uttered, “How could I stay by your side when my father was the reason why you are struggling like this?” He said before his eyes glistened in tears.