OS~ You Can't Avoid Fate~ Bokuto Koutarou

Soulmate AU. A red string connects you and your soulmate. When you meet, you have develop romantic feelings to make the string go away.

Y/N

I had always been a quiet, self-sufficient person. I had no time for friends, fun or relationships. I only had time for myself and what I wanted. Call me selfish, I didn't care.

I had always hated the thought of soulmates. It was some person you were destined to love and be with for the rest of your life.

Soulmates were connected by a red string made so that you could find each other. I always hated waking up and seeing the thread tied to my ring finger. I never really thought about cutting it, severing the tie to your soulmate was see as practically a crime. In some countries, it was. In one, there was a death penalty. So I never did, even though it was legal in Russia. 

I hoped to god that my soulmate would die or at the very least not be an annoying, moody, clingy brat. In short, to me, soulmates were bullshit, and I wished I never had one.

The breaking point came for me when I was sixteen. I was sitting through a presentation on soulmates, and every time the teacher would mention hers, I would get angrier and more agitated.

"JUST SHUT UP ALREADY." I screamed at the teacher, not caring if I got in trouble or not. "Maybe some of us don't want some pain-in-the-ass lover who we are destined to be with for the rest of our lives! Maybe some of us just want to be free! I'm so sick of hearing, soulmate this, soulmate that, that I'd rather die than meet mine!"

The class stared at me in shock, but I didn't care. I was finally letting out my feeling, and I felt fantastic.

"Y/N, calm down this instant!"

"ILL CALM DOWN ONCE I HAVE THIS DAMN STRING OFF MY BODY!"

I ran up to my teachers desk and grabbed the pair of scissors in her pencil container. I held them up to my string, took a big breath, and snipped.

The class stared at me in shock. I had just broken the one rule you never, EVER broke. Cutting your string was bad, VERY bad, and in the end, it wasn't the yelling, but my actions with my soulmate that got me expelled.

My parents decided there was only one thing to do. They shipped me away from my home in Moscow and sent me off to live with my cousins, the Haiba's, in Japan.

I wasn't thrilled, but at least over there I could tell people that my soulmate had died and they wouldn't  look at me with the disgust they did with back home.

"Y/N!" I turned my head around to see who it was, and it was my cousin, Lev. He had gotten even taller since the last time I had seen him, and my other cousin, Alisa, was almost 6ft tall. Me, having the same genes, was about the same height as Alisa.  

They wrapped me in a group hug, and I returned it. My cousins were some of the very few people I truly cared about. They could always make me happy, even though happiness was hugely overrated.

"Y/n! Guess what! I joined a volleyball team! And guess what else! I'm already the ace!" Lev pointed at his chest with his thumb proudly, a stupid grin on his face.

"Lev, I'm not trying to be rude, but isn't volleyball a girls sport?"

Lev deflated immediately.

"I mean, I guess. But it's a pretty popular, competitive sport here for men, so I feel lucky to have been chosen to be the ace."

I was about to reply, when Alisa butted in first.

"So why did you come? I understand you've been enrolled in Nekoma high with us, so it isn't just a visit. What's going on?"