NINE

NOMATHEMBA MNISI (ENHLE'S MOTHER)

After the meeting that I had with Siboniso, I drove to a restaurant to grab some takeaways to disguise my disappearance to my husband. On my way home, I called Ntombenhle. I guess seeing Siboniso has opened up old wounds and right now, I regret lot of things.

I was a young and naïve student at the University of Johannesburg. Siboniso and Busani were friends and flatmates that time. They had already graduated from tertiary and I was still living at the school residents.
Busani was and still is my first love. We dated from high school and I fell pregnant with his first child, Mbalenhle. I was only 18 doing my final year in highschool. Five years later I was engaged to him but I (sigh), I cheated on him. One day, I went to his flat unannounced but, he was not there. Siboniso opened up for me and I went in. I called Busani to find out about his whereabouts. As I was waiting for him to arrive, things between Siboniso and I got so tense. I was languished by lust. One thing we were kissing, the next thing we were naked, right on the kitchen counter. The moment was rapturous, I think it is because I was having a pleasurable moment with at least a different person. We used protection but unfortunately, it bursted.

A few weeks later I found out that I am pregnant.

I was livid but it was easy to pin it on Busani because, we were very active in the sex department, with and without protection. I never said a word about this to anyone. We separated paths with Siboniso and his girlfriend after I had graduated and ever since then, I never saw him ever again.

Busani managed to reunite with him again a while back during a business trip in Cape Town, that is where he lives apparently, and married to the same girl he cheated on with me, Zozibini.

I look at the clock displayed on the wall in the kitchen and it's nearly 8am. I warmed up the food before dish out for me and my husband. I go upstairs to check up on him. He can be deep sleeper this one. I get into our bedroom and find the bed empty but still not done. I hear the water running from the en-suite bathroom so, I am assuming that he is showering. I quickly fix the bed and pick out an outfit that he'll wear for the day. He finally comes out from the shower with a towel wrapped around his lower body and another one on his hands wiping his face with his body still wet, my husband, as old as he is, I still find him sexy. I could have him for breakfast, lunch and supper, everyday!

Busani:"Mkam'usubuyile." (My wife, you are back.) His raspy voice brings me back from my dirty thoughts.
Nomathemba:"Hauw baba, ngibuya kuthiwa ngivelaphi?" (And where am I coming from?) I fake smile looking down.
Busani:"Angati mkam, kwati wena ngoba ne cingo lwakho aliphendfulwa. Ubungekho khathi ngi vuka mine. Where we're you?" (How would I know because you wouldn't answer your phone when I called. You were not in the house when I woke up.)
Nomathemba:"Uh, baba... bengisayo funa ibreakfast." (I went too get breakfast.) I lie under my breath.
Busani:"Kusukela nini uyo funa ublekfasie ngoba uyati kutsi mine nokudla kwase ma restaurant asevani nje. Usuya cala nge mirusu lekadse uyenta k'dala?" (Since when do you get our breakfast from the restaurant when you know I am not a fan of it. Are you back into the schemes you used to do back then?) For a moment I didn't know what to say. I know I wasn't honest with him back then but I have worked hard on getting his trust back.
Nomathemba:"Cha Baba... Kade ngikhanuka ukuyo shaywa wumoya kancane, indodakati yethfu isanda k'shada bengifuna uku pholisa likhandsa kancane." (No. I just needed to get some fresh air and our daughter just recently got married so, I needed to refresh my brain from it.) He finished wearing his clothes and takes my hand.

Busani:"So, Ntombi has called me and asked me to talk to you. Mind telling me what is it about?"
Nomathemba:"Uhm..." I fake a laugh. "It is nothing serious baba." I shy away my eyes from him nervously. How do I tell my man that another man has came to claim his daughter. How do I tell him that the worst is about to happen? How do I tell him that I once cheated on him with his best friend? This is a mess.
Busani:"Masethembe njalo Noma." (I hope so.) I nod as he looks at me like he is studying me. My husband can be intimidating and he uses that to his advantage. I won't fall for that, not today hubby. I need to find a way for ancestors to bless this marriage or else, there will be a hell price to pay. The lighting and thunder that stroke was just a warning, if the traditional wedding continues, the worse is yet to come.

We head downstairs to the dining table and have our breakfast that Mr "I am not a fan of takeout food from restaurants" asked for seconds, look at him even licking his fingers. I sigh out loud not intentionally, as what I did comes back to my mind.
Busani:"Are you okay?" I nod.
Nomathemba:"I love you bab'wabo." (Their father.) He squeezed my hand.
Busani:"Uthandwa ngim ma'wabo." (I love you, Their mother.)