TWENTY-FOUR

LUYOLO MAYIZA

I am woken up by my wife rapidly sniffing and it is quite irritating if I must say. What is going on now? I switch on my side lamp sitting up to find my wife sitting on the couch crying, she worries me these days it's like, I always trigger something that make her snap, which is why I bury myself with some work in the study because, I am trying by all means to avoid upsetting her by just winking at her, yep that is how sensitive she's been.

I stagger to where she is seated.

"Just give me their names and I will make sure that they never make you cry, ever again." I pull her up from the couch before I sit and make her sit on my lap. "Talk to me mommy, why are you up so early?"

"I can't sleep." She sobs more. I sigh. See what I mean when I say "sensitive"?

"Now why are you crying?" I can't believe I am woken up for this. Firstly, I have a long day today. My parents are coming and I have to fetch them as soon as they land at the airport, my son is not in a good state and hey, he regurgitate last night's meal and I am taking him to the doctor and lastly, Yoniswa (sigh), it's been three days since I told her to move out but, she asked for a few days to stay in so yep, you guessed right, she is still living with us, I don't know how my parents are going to take it.

"You were sleeping." Seriously now!? I pull her closer and lay her head on my chest.

"I'm awake now, I'm sorry." This is shit.

It didn't quite take us long until we both passed out on the couch well, I had to wait for her to fall asleep first before I could also nap, but it was already late because, It's not even at least ten minutes till the alarm went off. I wish I could just sleep again for another hour but, my day is quite busy. I stand up from the couch with Khanyisile on my arms in a bridal style, I gently put her back into bed and cover her with the sheet before making my way to the shower.

***

"Did I wake you up?" I kind of banged the closet door as I stepped out.

"No. What is the time?" She yawns.

"6:20am." She jumps out of the bed.

"Oh my goodness Babe! Why didn't you wake me up, Yolo!?" She fixes the bed. "You know that your parents are coming today and I need to, to..." She holds her stomach.

"Babe, are you okay?" I move towards her.

"I am... Excuse me!" She scurries off to the bathroom, I follow her. I find her crouched down to the toilet seat regurgitating. I rub her back moving up and down until she is done. I help her stand up.

"How are you feeling?"

"I am okay I guess." I am not having that. She's been having nausea this past days and I am hoping and crossing my fingers that my suspicions are correct to the cause of her nausea.

"Get ready, you are also coming with to the doctor." She wants to protest but decides against it.

"Fine." I peck her cheek and walk out of the room. I walk into Lindokuhle's room and Yoniswa was tying his shoes.

"Daddy!" My son's facial expression is priceless.

"Hey buddy, you good?" He nods. "Morning Yoniswa."

"Good Morning." She stands up just after finishing tying the shoes. Her silky robe is untied and her night dress is revealing her pointed nipples. We stare into each other's eyes for a while, I clear my throat.

"I'll leave you two." She walks to the door and our eyes lock again for a few seconds then she walks away.

"Okay buddy, let's go." I carry him on my shoulder, like a sac of potatoes and he giggles.

***

NTOMBENHLE MAYIZA

The elevator comes to halt and the door slides open. I find Lindokuhle and Luyolo watching cartoons so seriously. I walk to the couch to where they are seated and give Lindokuhle a peck on the cheek.

"Mommy!" He frowns and wipes the cheek where I had perched the peck, I also frown.

"What baby? You don't want mommy to kiss you?" I ask because, him and I forever kissed each other's cheeks and lips all the time, it really cut deep when he nodded to my question.

"But, I thought that you liked it baby, why now?" I am a paediatrician so, I have learnt to be patient with kids, most especially when I was doing my practicals so, I understand how they evolve.

"I hate you!" I gasped.

"Lindokuhle!" Luyolo warns. "Who taught you that?"

"Luyolo," I shake my head "let him be I mean, he surely does not understand what he just said." He sighs.

"It does not make what he just said right. He needs to know what is right and what is not right to say." He turns to Lindokuhle. "Lindo, you don't want to make me angry, apologise to mommy, right now." Lindokuhle looks down. I remember when Luyolo mentioned that, Lindokuhle never apologises and right now that is what he is doing-not apologising.

"Lindokuhle!" He roars, making his deep voice bounce around the room. Lindokuhle got scared.

"Luu..." He throws daggers at me. I raise my hands in surrender and leave him to scowl his son as I walk to the kitchen.