FORTY-SIX

LUYOLO MAYIZA

We are sitting around the dinning table eating breakfast in a very loud silence. It is very awkward after what happened last night at the in-laws' house, more especially when we came back home with mother in-law. My wife couldn't trust what his father would do next if we left her back there. I have my left eye swollen, damn Busani did a number on me but, thank God I have my wife on my side to nurse my eye.

Ntombenhle clears her throat.

"Uhm, Luu." I raise my head from my food and look at my wife. "Can you please take me somewhere after breakfast. Will you stay with Lindokuhle?"

"Where do you want to go?" I put down my fork on the table because, I am struggling to eat my food.

"Thandeka." She says looking down.

"Has she reached out to you?" She reluctantly shakes her head. "Then why do you want to go to her?"

"To check if she is okay and try to understand why she is distancing herself away from me."

"She is fine." I say not caring. "You don't have to go."

"How do you know that?"

"We are not going to go back and forth with this now, are we?" I huff at her.

"Luyolo, my friend might be out there desperate for my help but, doesn't know how to talk to me."

"A friend? You mean that very same friend that blocked you right after you got married? The same friend that stop calling or texting you? Oh wait, the very same friend that ran away from you when she saw you at the mall? Or maybe it's a different Thandeka neh?" She huff.

"I know all that, you don't have to remind me."

"You seem to have forgotten, Khanyisile." She breathes.

"You don't have to be rude, Luyolo." I close my eyes.

"Just leave me, woman." I stand up, mother in-law gasp. I am in no fucking mood today. This could have been avoided but, two grown ass adults decided not respect their marriages and... Shit! "I said you are not going and that's final." I walk away from them, my phone rings. I answer without paying much attention to the caller ID.

"Yah?" I say after answering.

"Uhm, hi. It is me, Yoniswa." I keep quiet so that she can continue. "I miss my baby now. Can I fetch him today?" It is a good idea. There is too much tension in this house, my son cannot be around this environment now.

"Are you not in Cape Town?" She coughs and clears her throat.

"Uh, well... I-uhm, I arrived this morning in Johannesburg. I checked myself into a B&B."

"Okay. I don't know at what time you going to come fetch him but, I probably won't be home then. My wife will assist you." I hang up going back to the dining room.

"Khanyi, Yoniswa is coming to fetch Lindo today." She frowns.

"What time?" She asks.

"I am not sure. Please make sure that he is ready then, I have somewhere to attend to." Before I go, I take Lindokuhle into my hands. "Buddy, mama is coming to fetch you today, okay. You are going to spend time with mama, are you happy?" He puts a million dollar smile on his face, nodding. I hug him and kiss his cheek a multiple times before putting him back on the chair.

"You will go well my boy. Daddy loves you neh." We fist bump.

"Lindokuhle loves you neh." I chuckle and disappear outside and hop into my car.