THIRTEEN

YONISWA LANGA

In my years of dating Luyolo, I have never seen him this happy. The look that he has for his wife, is just unbearable to watch. I thought he loved me but it is nothing compared to how he looks at her wife. No one could miss the chemistry and connection between them. I am sitting in the car across the road at Luyolo’s home in Bisho. I can see everything very clear from where I am. I heard from my little sister that there will be a traditional wedding today and I just wanted to be here and see it for myself, well for my own sanity. I love Luyolo so much, it breaks my heart that he loves her more. I need to talk to him for the last time, I need closure..
I look at myself once more at the rare view mirror before I stepped out of the car. I pulled down my already short dress and fix my coat, before I started click clanking on my heels.

Breathe Yoni breathe. I say to myself before I walk into the yard. It is very busy and I must say, the décor is so beautiful. I can feel my eyes getting watery and blurring my vision, but I blink that a couple of times. No, what am I even doing, this was a wrong idea. I need to turn and leave before anyone sees me. I don’t want to embarrass myself. Luyolo can be a douche.

“Yoni mntanami? Nguwe lo?” (Yoni my child, is that you?) Just as I was turning back. That must be umakazi ka Luyolo. I had a good relationship with her. 
Yoniswa:”Ewe makazi, ndim.” (Yes auntie, it is me.) I smile nervously turning to look at her.
Makazi:”Mehlo madala! I am happy to see you. Come here.” (Long time no see!) I went to her and she hugged me warmly.
Makazi:”You are so beautiful. Luyolo made his biggest mistake by marrying that Joburg City girl. It should have been you, not her.” I fake smile. I feel the verge of crying, but I hold it.
Yoniswa:”Makazi, it’s fine. I am fine. He seems happy where he is.” It hurts! Love fucking hurts!
Makazi:”So, what brings you here?” Yeah, exactly. Why did I come here? Stupid Yoniswa.
Yoniswa:”I, Uhm… Well… I am here to uhm, fetch Lindo, yes that and we were leaving.” Lies.
Makazi:”But there is Lindo playing with other kids there. Yoniswa you did not come here for Luyolo, did you?” I look down to my fingers playing with each other.
Makazi:”My girl you must fight, fight for your man. Even if it takes you to be the second wife, you must f…. Luyolo.” My heart beats vigorously and I can feel my armpits and my palms starting to sweat. Did someone turn on the heater because wow, I am getting hot. I were to leave without him seeing me. At least I was supposed to.
Luyolo:”Yoniswa, what are you doing here?” He looks perplexed.
Makazi:”Don’t forget what I just told you.” She said that leaving us. I am stunned. I don’t know what to say.

Luyolo:”I asked you a question, what are you doing here?” I guess I should be honest with him.
Yoniswa:”Uhm, Luu, I came here because I needed to talk to you.”
Luyolo:”About what? It’s my wedding day today couldn’t you call me or something?”
Yoniswa:”No. I wanted to understand, did you not love me? I mean, how could you have fallen for someone so hard when you both recently met. I need closure, Luu.” A tear escaped from my eye. 
Luyolo:”I am sorry that things are they way they are right now. I am sorry that I hurt you but please understand that now, I have a wife. I am a married man and I want my marriage to work. I love you Yoniswa but…”
Yoniswa:”But what Luu? I love you too Luu, please don’t leave me.” I caress his arms.
Luyolo:”Yoniswa, no, don’t do this. You look desperate right now” Ouch! “I am someone’s husband and she might be waiting for me. I appreciate that you drove all the way here for closure but I can’t give you the closure that you want.” I chuckled with tears flowing down my cheeks. 
Yoniswa:”Luu, I can’t.” I bring myself closer to him. “I need you baby.” I pulled his face closer to mine and our foreheads come in contact, before I kissed him. He was hesitant at first but gave in at last. We were lost in the moment until we heard something break. I got startled and Luyolo quickly pushed me off, as we both looked to the direction to where whatever was breaking. It was Luyolo’s wife. I goofy smiled a bit. She had dropped the ukhaba (The African pot for beer) that had umqombothi (the sorghum beer). it broke down spilling the beer out. She looks disgruntled and scowled. Oh oh, wifey is mad. She shakes her head in disapproval, before she runs off.

Luyolo:”Enhle, wait!” He screams trying to run to her. Oh no honey, you not leaving me.
Yoniswa:”Myeke Luu. Uzaw'phola.” (Leave her. She'll calm down.) I hold his hand.
Luyolo:”Fuck you! Phuma uhambe!” (Leave!) What did I do now? Anyway, Yoniswa 1 and wife zilch. He leaves me standing there alone. I turn towards my car. My cellphone rings, it’s my cousin, Uyanda.

Yoniswa:”Hey cousin, how are…”
Uyanda:”What the fuck is my car doing at Bisho!? I want my car back, right now!” She clicked her tongue before she hanged up. Okay fine, it is my cousin’s BMW X6. I drive an Audi A1. My cousin is furious with me right now, I better leave, although I am going to arrive very late at home.